My new Gretsch drums

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
(Said in my best sing-songy voice) Larry's got a new squeeze.

I'll bet 5 bucks he's spending the entire weekend getting to know his new honey.

He probably slept inside the bass drum last night, curled up like a cat.

I wonder if he changed his screensaver to the Yellows.

I hope he doesn't turn into an asshole now that he has these great drums.

I mean he hasn't said word one. I guess we're yesterday's news. Well have a nice life asshole !

:)

Last edited:

8Mile

Platinum Member
I promise I haven't changed, Larry. Other than I will now need you to submit an approval form if you want to communicate with me henceforth. Don't worry, you have good chances of remaining my friend.

But seriously, yes, I have been immersed in getting to know these new drums. I bought some new Remo heads but the drums sound so damn good as-is that I'm reluctant to change them just yet. I live in an apartment, so I can't really play them too much here, but I have friends who play who are happy to have me bring them over and spend time with them. They totally get it (and get off on seeing/playing them, too).

I'm not someone who buys a whole lot of toys. I was never a gear-head most of my musical life. If anything, most of the times that I've wanted something for a long time and built it up in my head, I was usually disappointed somewhat when I finally got it. It's just so hard for things to live up to that perfection.

Well... these drums have met and even exceeded my expectations. The build quality is really impressive, it is just unmistakeable, and I've seen some nice drums in my time. They tune up ridiculously easy. I've never had to spend so little time getting a drum to sound the way I want it to. The sound I'm hearing is inspiring me to play better... if that makes sense? We all know it's the player, not the gear. But it's kind of the gear a little bit in this case? It's just so much fun for me. I'm a bit of an outlier in what I'm looking for. The sound of those 1960s Blue Note records that all my heroes played on had this drum sound, and I've always wanted that, never had it before, and now it's mine.

I've heard not-so-good stories in the past, but I think Gretsch is really on top of their game right now. Lots of people who have been fans of the brand say they are building the best drums they ever have right now. Maybe the ownership change to DW helped them out, I don't know. But it was worth every bit of the wait for me.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm so glad the news is all good Lar. Expectations exceeded. That's a tall order for that long of a wait.

The set really is all that. I would venture to guess that there are not very many TWY Gretsch kits out there.

You probably have the only one within a thousand miles.

Now you need a house so you can play them when you want!

TK-421

The sound I'm hearing is inspiring me to play better... if that makes sense? We all know it's the player, not the gear. But it's kind of the gear a little bit in this case?
I've always been a firm believer in always having the best gear possible, because what I'm hearing coming from the drums and cymbals totally influences how I play. Could you imagine trying to play a delicate jazz waltz on an '80s Tama power tom kit with Evans hydraulics, a marching snare, a mega bell ride, and thick manhole cover hi hats? Of course that's a rather extreme example, but I digress :)

Anyway, congrats on your gorgeous new kit! I'm sure they sound as amazing as they look. Who knew that the entire Drummerworld forum would turn blue in anticipation of your new kit. (get it... the forum used to be red, now it's blue <rimshot>)

Last edited:

cornelius

Silver Member
Congrats on the new kit - great pics! I love my DW Jazz Series kit, but there's just something about a set of Gretsch - especially those sizes and color...

8Mile

Platinum Member
So Lar, you didn't get the 2 muffler thingy on your drums? I thought they came standard on the USA Customs.
They are an option but I'm not sure if they are considered standard. I opted not to get them because I don't think I would use them much. I just love them wide open tuned up pretty high.

Gottliver

DW has the licenses to produce, market and sell Gretsch. It is still owned by the Gretsch family. DW is doing a good job. Your drums are awesome. Love that finish.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Hey @8Mile this is totally unrelated but how do you like the crosstown stands? Thinking of picking some up
I really like them. The weight difference in lugging my hardware around is mind-blowing. I have a Ludwig Atlas hi-hat stand and I swear the entire bag of Crosstown hardware feels like it doesn't weigh much more than that one hi-hat stand alone. I played a gig a couple weeks ago where I used my heavy-duty stands for the first time in a while and it reminded me why I bought the Crosstown hardware in the first place. It's almost surreal being able to carry around all your hardware in such a light package.

With the spikes extended, the hi-hat doesn't budge for me. The cymbal stands don't move, either. The only thing that feels a little shaky is the snare stand. I sit pretty high, so my snare has a pretty high center-of-gravity. That makes the snare feel a little vulnerable to rocking/tipping on any stand. But on the Crosstown, it feels even more so. But no accidents with that so far, I just have to be a little more aware. I do miss the boom stands a bit, but it's still possible to position them where I want with a little more effort to maneuver the legs of the stands around the other hardware obstacles.

The weight savings more than make up for the minor reservations I have.

SirSwingsAlot

I really like them. The weight difference in lugging my hardware around is mind-blowing. I have a Ludwig Atlas hi-hat stand and I swear the entire bag of Crosstown hardware feels like it doesn't weigh much more than that one hi-hat stand alone. I played a gig a couple weeks ago where I used my heavy-duty stands for the first time in a while and it reminded me why I bought the Crosstown hardware in the first place. It's almost surreal being able to carry around all your hardware in such a light package.

With the spikes extended, the hi-hat doesn't budge for me. The cymbal stands don't move, either. The only thing that feels a little shaky is the snare stand. I sit pretty high, so my snare has a pretty high center-of-gravity. That makes the snare feel a little vulnerable to rocking/tipping on any stand. But on the Crosstown, it feels even more so. But no accidents with that so far, I just have to be a little more aware. I do miss the boom stands a bit, but it's still possible to position them where I want with a little more effort to maneuver the legs of the stands around the other hardware obstacles.

The weight savings more than make up for the minor reservations I have.
Nice thanks!!!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Awful quiet around here. I was hoping for gig reports or something, anything.

I understand that Larry wants to have his way with his new yellow drums, but...what about us!!!

8Mile

Platinum Member
Ha! No gigs yet, Larry. I should have a chance to play them at a jam next month and also hopefully in a studio around the same time.

Thanks for all the interest in my drums, man. I really appreciate your support and enthusiasm throughout my journey. And a big thanks to everyone else who has shared in this with me. Drummers are so cool about this stuff.

incrementalg

Gold Member
I'm glad the drums came in so we could finally see them and hear about them. Yet, I kinda miss anticipating the updates.

Someone else order one so I have something to look forward to!