My new Gretsch drums

8Mile

Platinum Member
Tomorrow is 16 weeks. So I could get that call any day, right? Right?!?!

Damn! Cannot, cannot, cannot wait!

incrementalg

Gold Member
Tomorrow is 16 weeks. So I could get that call any day, right? Right?!?!

Damn! Cannot, cannot, cannot wait!
Do you follow Gretsch on social media? You might see pics your drums posted as they're finished. Gretsch doesn't do that often, but with yellow lacquer finish and bop sizes, yours is gonna be super looking and worth posting about.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Do you follow Gretsch on social media? You might see pics your drums posted as they're finished. Gretsch doesn't do that often, but with yellow lacquer finish and bop sizes, yours is gonna be super looking and worth posting about.
could be. I follow on Facebook and Twitter. You never know what may show up.

8Mile

Platinum Member
I do follow them. And I'm lame enough that I click on everything they post to retain my "Top Fan" status on Facebook.

Not proud of it but not denying it,
8Mile

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
So what's the first thing you will do after the boxes are in your place Lar?

Do the Gretsch dance then dive right in opening boxes? Keep calm and methodical like a scientist? Get drunk and just look at the boxes before opening, biding your time and pouncing on them when you can't control it any longer? Invite your wife to have sex on the boxes before opening? What's it gonna be?

Would you rather revel in the delivery and unveiling alone or with others?

Will you have to install the heads and stuff or do they ship with heads installed?

If they ship with heads installed do you play the drums first or look under the hood to check everything out first?

8Mile

Platinum Member
Great questions, Larry. I don't know what I'm going to do. Believe it or not, I've never taken delivery of a set of drums like this, where they show up in boxes on my doorstep. I've been thinking about making an unboxing video, which I can't believe I'm even considering. But I am.

And I never thought about whether to do the inspection part first. Thanks for giving me one more thing to think about!

AzHeat

Platinum Member
A slow methodical unboxing May not be a bad idea. Mine were used, but barely. They didn’t come in Gretsch boxes, but very well packed. I only discovered a bent hoop last month on my 16” FT. It was slight, but something was definitely askew with it. Only discovered it when I finally got frustrated enough with tuning. I could get it to sound right, but took way more time than the others. I just decided to dig in and find out why and that’s when I realized the damage.

It wasn’t glaring, but if you slid the hoop down on the shell without the head, you could see it. I could have requested a new hoop or a discount had I fought it earlier.

BTW, the 302 hoops, as I discovered are way tougher to straighten than cast. That was a major project that took a long time and finesse. Not the hoops you’re getting with the USA, but we’ll worth noting.

Can’t wait to see pics of your new drums. :)

incrementalg

Gold Member
Great questions, Larry. I don't know what I'm going to do. Believe it or not, I've never taken delivery of a set of drums like this, where they show up in boxes on my doorstep. I've been thinking about making an unboxing video, which I can't believe I'm even considering. But I am.

And I never thought about whether to do the inspection part first. Thanks for giving me one more thing to think about!
Open em up and smell em first! I love the smell of fresh Gretsch drums. Not unlike other drum smells, but the nitro lacquer and silver sealer smell distinctly Gretsch.

8Mile

Platinum Member
17 weeks tomorrow. So if they're not here 8 days from now, they will officially be late, since I was given a 16–18 week window.

I am really hoping they're not late. I'm watching my inbox obsessively now, waiting for the good news that they are being shipped!

Thanks for taking an interest!

8Mile

Platinum Member
Thanks for all the interest!

I promise this is the first drum forum I will post the good news on.

Slipping in a slight dig there that you may not have noticed,
8Mile