My new Gretsch drums

vyacheslav

Congrautlaions! I agree, having that to look forward to every day will make the winter seem less harsh!

How did you order the 12" tom? No mount, suspension mount or direct to shell mount? It seems like Gretsch is going back to a lot of direct to shell mounts on their toms recently.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Similar to this? https://i.imgur.com/WA9G9S8.png By law you must use black dot heads. It's what Tony would have wanted.
Haha. The black-dot heads on the monster set is definitely a thing. But the era of Tony's playing that inspired me the most was his mid-60's playing on those Blue Note dates and with Miles. So I'm going coated, single-ply.

Congrautlaions! I agree, having that to look forward to every day will make the winter seem less harsh!

How did you order the 12" tom? No mount, suspension mount or direct to shell mount? It seems like Gretsch is going back to a lot of direct to shell mounts on their toms recently.
Funny you mention this, because it was by far the toughest decision I had to make. I ended up going with direct-to-shell bracket on the tom. And it will be mounted on the bass drum.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I'm so excited for you Larry! You've held out for as long as I can remember. It's your time for sure.

What are you playing on currently? Will you keep your current set when the new drums come in?

Congratulations man. You deserve this.

T_Weaves

Silver Member
Congratulations !! That yellow gloss is going to get you some attention on stage. I think Gretsch is really killing it across all their entire range now. Please post some pics when you get them. Definitely worth waiting for.

Last edited:

8Mile

Platinum Member
I'm so excited for you Larry! You've held out for as long as I can remember. It's your time for sure.

What are you playing on currently? Will you keep your current set when the new drums come in?

Congratulations man. You deserve this.
Thanks, Larry!

I have Ludwig classic maple drums and I'm keeping them. They're all matching, but I play them as two separate, four-piece sets depending on the music and the room. I have 13/16/22 that I play for the loud stuff and 12/14/18 that I originally just wanted for small-group bop things.

The problem is, I find the small set works great in tiny rooms and small spaces, so I'm using it for rock music a lot of the time. And the head and tuning choices I like for playing bebop don't really fit classic rock, so I'm spending a lot of time changing heads and re-tuning to go back and forth between musical styles. I never imagined I'd be using that little set for anything but small-group, acoustic jazz, but here I am.

When my new Gretsch set comes in, it will be dedicated to the sound I want for bop and the 12/14/18 Luddies will be ready-to-go for rock at the local pub. So you see, I actually NEEDED these drums. Amirite???

Rationalizing at a world-class level,
8Mile

Jbravo

I kinda know the feeling. I ordered my 3 piece instock from sweetwater, but had to wait about two months for the 18” floor Tom to be made...😊

fess

I would need to get the drums right away, otherwise I'd spend the wait time looking at all the other possibilities I could have bought and would make myself crazy.

TK-421

Just out of curiosity, did Tony ever play a yellow bop kit? I know yellow was his trademark color on his monster fusion kit, but I don't remember seeing him play yellow back I his bebop days.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Vintage layout or modern or is it a mix of both?
There really isn't anything vintage in terms of hardware. The bass drum spurs, floor tom legs and the tom mount and tom brackets are all the modern stuff. I always had trouble adjusting those rail consollette mounts to get the rack tom where I wanted it. The only throwback thing about it is I'm having the bracket of the 8 x 12 tom attached directly to the shell of the drum.

Freewill3

Congrats! You are going to love those drums! I picked up my USA Customs a couple years ago. It's well worth the wait, wonderful color choice as well!
G3.jpg