My latest vintage Ludwig project

evilg99

Platinum Member
Here I find myself with yet another vintage Ludwig 3 ply 12/15/20 project.

See, it all starts with finding a bass drum that I like. This is a 20"x12" marching bass drum (so it has no spurs) in the original green sparkle and small classic lugs.

Then I had a 12" tom in blue sparkle (small lugs too) , and I bought the 15x13 marching snare and converted it to a floor tom. The snare beds have been 'built up' with wood filler and then the bearing edges redone. It sounds great and works great!
So the two toms are rewrapped...all drums are clear maple interiors and small classic lugs.

Playing around with heads on the bass drum....no completely happy yet but the toms are great. Coated Amb on the 12", coated PS4 on the floor is good but a little too much...waiting to get a coated Emperor on that.

I have the small curved spurs and mounts but haven't installed them yet. But I think I will. Was trying the atlas mounts for a bit but man, they are huge and look kinda dorky on this drum, they don't make sense. It's not very stable as is, with a DW5000 pedal and that anchor thing on the reso hoop.

And then I have a vintage Gretsch 12/15/22 up for my next project. Yes 15's rule!

Attachments

IBitePrettyHard

Have you given any thought to doing Youtube videos of your restorations? The work you describe in this post could easily have made multiple videos, and I and many others would be thrilled to have seen them.

rdavidr is a good example of a DIY drum channel. You don't have to be anything like him in terms of content or execution or the amount of effort you put into them, but it should give you an idea of what's possible.

If that's something you're ever interested in, I can help you with plenty of tips on making a successful channel. I have some knowledge in that area.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Have you given any thought to doing Youtube videos of your restorations? The work you describe in this post could easily have made multiple videos, and I and many others would be thrilled to have seen them.

rdavidr is a good example of a DIY drum channel. You don't have to be anything like him in terms of content or execution or the amount of effort you put into them, but it should give you an idea of what's possible.

If that's something you're ever interested in, I can help you with plenty of tips on making a successful channel. I have some knowledge in that area.
Hey! Thanks for your comments, and offer. I should have explained a little better... I don't do the re-wrapping myself , or cutting down shells, or drilling, or bearing edges. I have a guy I work with that does all that. He would definitely be able to do a ton of videos on restoration. A very experienced, skilled and knowledgeable dude.

I am the hunter/dreamer/collector. I do the easy stuff. Cleaning/sourcing parts, trading/ etc etc. I love it all. I personally have more Yamaha and Gretsch than anything else.

As far as having my own YouTube channel - I just don't have the time. I know what's involved, as I work as a Re-Recording mixer and Sound Designer in the Film and TV industry, and have been at that for 28 years. I'm a freelancer these days and have my own Audio Post studio here at home....so I have the gear and knowledge but not the time.

This past year, I actually came very close to getting into the drum business full time. I wanted to open a drum shop, selling locally and online...made some plans....but ultimately have to go back to the Film/TV world because 'that's where the money's at'.

I may revisit the whole idea again in a couple years.

My wife runs a successful part time Shopify store, selling her original piano music and celtic harp music. It's fascinating seeing that online store go. There is truly nothing better than passive income - making money while you sleep. I keep racking my brain as to how to do that same thing with a drum 'store' online.