My DW saga just keeps going and going...

It has been a while since I have posted on here, and I thought I would throw a little more wood in the fire for all of the nay sayers who seem to not care if they get what they pay for.

We all know that regardless of the company and the product, there will always be lemons. There will always be the occasional unit that leaves the factory in less that perfect condition. Occasional. I am a huge Yamaha fan but since they discontinued the color I wanted, I had to look elsewhere. I still stand behind Yamaha. Why? Because for the better part of a year now, every time I go to my favorite music store, if there is a new set on the floor, I have inspected it, measured it, and looked for any fault at all. Those on this site that have read most of my posts know I am pretty harsh in what I expect for the money I shell out. Having said that, every single kit I have inspected, Stage Custom (mid level kit) and above had been flawless. PERFECT bearing edges top and bottom. A glass lacquer finish. Perfect joints/seams on the shell. I'm not exaggerating. I wanted a running tally on what I was going to be purchasing in the future. A guard of the consistency of their quality.

I have seen the few kits made in Indonesia at other stores and have seen some defects. The Gig Maker, the Rock Tour, and the Tour custom. Any made in China or Japan were flawless, meaning, measuring for roundness you would need a micrometer to see any variation. Not a single dent, knick, scratch or burr.

Due to Yamaha discontinuing my color, I had to start this process all over again. I looked at DW, Pacific, Pearl, Mapex, Ludwig, Gretch, Sonor, and Tama. The Pacifics were in better shape over all that the DWs. Both had shoddy seams/joints. So did the Pearls, even the high ends. The Mapex were not too bad, but overall could use a little better QC. The Sonor kits were well done, but even the stores tell me beware due to parts availability and service times for defects or repairs and replacements. I was unwilling to take that chance.The Gretch sets were pretty good as were the Ludwigs, though in my opinion Gretch is a bit over priced. So far I was willing to look at Ludwig out of all of those kits mid to high end. Tama crossed my mind a few times, but I remembered seeing some kits from them that were really underwhelming. Then it hit me. All of those kits that had those issue I had seen were either starter kits or mid level with a wrap finish. So I went to looking at Tama. I was extremely impressed. The more I looked, the better they were.

I now have one of my kits here, a Tama Silverstar in Transparent Blue Burst, (a mid level kit, price wise anyway) and naturally, I went completely OCD on this thing. I found nothing. Not one blemish in the finish. Not one fault in the bearing edge. Not one issue with the bass drum hoops, which were also in perfect round, as are all the shells. I have more coming, and I actually feel like I can relax for once and not have to worry about how shitty of condition my new drums might end up coming in.

Bottom line. It is possible to put out a perfect product, (meaning any flaws would be so minute, you would need some serious tools and technology to find them) consistently. There are a few companies that still give a damn what their product is like going out the door. I've looked at more drum kits than I care to count, and of all levels, over an extended period of time, in a huge store with a vast amount of kits on the floor, and a high turnover rate from sales. I'm there often enough that I see almost every floor kit come and go. Take from this what you will, but you aren't likely to find many people that pay that close of attention to detail, and care enough to do all of that searching, looking, feeling, and measuring. If you don't care what you get for your money, piss it away, I don't care. Some of us still expect to get what we pay for and have the company back it up. They are few, but they are out there, and they treat the art of making beautiful instruments as they should; with care and pride, by experienced craftsman, that love what they do. To those that go the extra mile for your customers, thank you. We appreciate you as much as you appreciate our business, and you will have us as customers for life.

bigiainw

Gold Member
I'm just going to reiterate that Mapex sent me a replacement lug due to some poor plating and I received it in days. I mailed them a pic, it hit the post that day. This was on my £700 Meridian Maple kit. If Mapex can do that on an intermediate line, wtf is the problem with DW?
Slightly off topic, but I have found that Korg UK who import Mapex into the UK are brilliant. I had an issue with a hi-hat stand and they sent me the parts I needed the same day at no charge. Perhaps they would let DW come and train with them?

A

audiotech

To the best of my knowledge, John Good is senior vice president of DW and I believe Lombardi is the founder and CEO of the company. This could have changed over the years, but I believe I'm correct.

Dennis

I am sorry if I was wrong about that. I may have read that in a post somewhere, I was wrong on that part. Oops. Reguardless, that really has no bearing, its his reputation, and ultimately the company's, so he might as well be. Either the rest of what I said stands. I made a mistake. I'll be ok. Besides, it was more of an implication that if I were a CEO (or anyone who happens to be the main focus of the company).

cornelius

Silver Member
section8 - reread the two posts before yours. There are two sides to every story.

Like most posts in this thread - your facts are incorrect. John Good is not the CEO. Who said he was the CEO? I don't know, do you? But suddenly everyone is calling him CEO - and this is exactly what's happening in this thread. One person (not both sides) is presenting a view. And that one viewpoint is getting more and more skewed with this mob mentality.

Trolls do what they do. Pay no attention. He's already been told, he wants to get a rise out of everyone here.

What needs to be truly appreciated here is time. It's bad enough that so many things were out of whack with the kit, not just a damn grommet so you might as well quit banging that drum. Serious, structural issues that are a must for a drum. You must have solid even contact between the drum head and the shell. The bearing edge, it was damaged. The hoop that holds the damn head on in the first place, there is no possible way you could tune that drum, even if you could get a decent sound with the other and the damaged bearing edge (which I have heard countless people say a nick in a bearing edge is a no go.

Back to time. JG did in fact call and try to do good on this deal, and oh, by the way, that's a whole year without being able to play that kit. That's a whole year of stress, lost sleep, and just a plain pain in the ass. If they had fairness care of such things in say, two weeks, this thread would be ancient history. They chose to not only drag their feet, but to completely ignore him and the obvious flaws (he did post pictures remember) in the drums.

The drum shop is obviously to blame here as well, but to what extent is unclear. As a CEO of a company, I'd damn sure be finding out what the hell is going on at that shop and what happened to the drums the first time around. It seems to me that he believes that this will pose no issue to him or his.company. word of mouth is the best advertiser, and can also be the biggest wrecking ball. The few that think this has all been over the top, apparently can't put themselves in someone else's shoes. He went about this more calmly and cool at the one year mark than most of us would have two months in. Time is worth more than any other commodity we have. We can never get it back.

8Mile

Platinum Member
Agreed. I've spoken to Boom, he knows my thoughts and has my support. But rallying the mob and sending out the posse is just way over the top. Boom had a bad experience, it's a crying shame but it happens. But petitions? Selling perfectly good gear that has served an individual well? Man, complete over reaction. If we sent out the attack dogs everytime I read of something going wrong with a Ludwig kit, they would have been erased from memory long ago.

Agreed again. I've been around long enough to know that there are two sides to every coin. I've been involved in enough disputes to know that one man's perception is not always how the other side sees things.

I've heard Boom's side of this story and as I said earlier, he has my sympathy. On face value I think he should just send the drums back, take his refund and find another kit. Regardless of the outcome, his experience has been soured and I think that's sad.....but he at least has been offered a way out. But I'm yet to hear how John Good thought it all went down. Surely DW are entitled to the right of reply before the rest of us hang, draw and quarter them? Any investigative process requires more than the story as presented by one man......why shouldn't this one? We weren't there and we weren't privy to all the facts.

Boom's issues are his own. All he can do is call it as he sees it. The rest of us......well, I reckon we should hear both sides before calling for John Good's head on spike at the palace gates.
This is how I see it, as well. Sometimes, things just don't work out. Conflict resolution can be very, very tricky and loaded with pitfalls. There can be unintentional inferences, misunderstandings and miscommunications. Both parties can be trying to do the right thing and they can still walk away with an unhappy conclusion and maybe even hard feelings.

My heart goes out to Boom because whether it's rational or not, we drummers can attach a utopian vision to our purchasing experience and it certainly didn't play out like that for him. I think DW's offer to give a full refund was fair and it was probably the best option for Boom to take it and move on.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Starting petitions on a forum, selling DW gear, etc... is all a bit too dramatic for me and somewhat immature.
Agreed. I've spoken to Boom, he knows my thoughts and has my support. But rallying the mob and sending out the posse is just way over the top. Boom had a bad experience, it's a crying shame but it happens. But petitions? Selling perfectly good gear that has served an individual well? Man, complete over reaction. If we sent out the attack dogs everytime I read of something going wrong with a Ludwig kit, they would have been erased from memory long ago.

because I never get the full picture.
Agreed again. I've been around long enough to know that there are two sides to every coin. I've been involved in enough disputes to know that one man's perception is not always how the other side sees things.

I've heard Boom's side of this story and as I said earlier, he has my sympathy. On face value I think he should just send the drums back, take his refund and find another kit. Regardless of the outcome, his experience has been soured and I think that's sad.....but he at least has been offered a way out. But I'm yet to hear how John Good thought it all went down. Surely DW are entitled to the right of reply before the rest of us hang, draw and quarter them? Any investigative process requires more than the story as presented by one man......why shouldn't this one? We weren't there and we weren't privy to all the facts.

Boom's issues are his own. All he can do is call it as he sees it. The rest of us......well, I reckon we should hear both sides before calling for John Good's head on spike at the palace gates.

illustrator X

When you pony up big cash for major purchase be it dream kit, car, house, you can get a little buyers remorse tweaked. Those issues with the kit shouldn't have been, but really easily remedied.

My advice to anyone is deal with DW direct right off the bat. The middle man just slows things down.

My DW exprerience is a fuzzy one:
I went to DW directly for an issue with a tom I bought second hand. After a few emails they had me send in the drum. After they reworked the bearing edge It came back singing and with fresh drum heads. They charged me nothing. I was instantly loyal. My next kit was a DW special order, and it came perfect in just 3 months. To button the this thread together, it came from Drum World in Pittsburgh.

kettles

Gold Member

Hope this works out for ya Boom. I haven't read all the threads but I know enough about it to know it's a pretty stink ordeal.

And for the record, my Mapex Saturn isn't perfect either.

HMNY

Silver Member
BacteriumFendYoke was right, if you look around the web, our new "friend", Bluesman, aka Bluemozark, aka John S has left a trail of very unpleasant posts on a number of forums,

Bluesman: "let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"

tamadrm

Platinum Member
This one takes the cake. It's a drum forum, words from a bunch of clowns in cyber space! NOT hand-to-hand combat in Afghanistan!
JG & DW could care less how "sophisticated" you are, SLICK!
How many drum forums are there online? dozens? hundreds? GROW UP!
So we're all a bunch of clowns in cyberspace?Then what are YOU doing here?A rooster in the hen house prehaps?

What does hand to hand combat in Afghanistan have to do with any of this?

The marketing departments of more than a few drum companys are actually,very aware of sales generated,through recomendations on forums..........just like this one.Thats why many drum companys sponsor their own compamy run forums.John Goode was concerned about what was being said about his company on a drum forum,or he would not have mentioned it.......would he?

If I were you,I would get my facts straight,before posting something so sophomoric the next time.

Maybe you should find another place to post your insulting comments,as we "clowns" don't much care for you're jaundiced opinions.

Steve B

Roy E. Munson

I doubt if I can help you.

And it sounds like DW was willing to correct the "issues". The drama queen then decided DW didn't kiss his ass enough, and therefore didn't like DW's "attitude". Whatever...
sounds like "littleman syndrome" to me, and im sorry but there is no cure to date.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Just because Craig was intense with me...he stated in this thread that he wasn't the same way on the phone w/ JG...

Craig is in the right no matter how you slice it. Intense or not, it's his perogative to be how he wants. In no way was Craig disrespectful in what he said. Craig is a very self effacing guy IMO and open to suggestions. I wish he hadn't told JG he badmouthed DW. That was a misstep on Craigs part and I think it's what made JG say what he did. Not that I feel that is a valid excuse for JG to let the matter go and lose a customer, just doing a forensic analysis.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I doubt if I can help you.

And it sounds like DW was willing to correct the "issues". The drama queen then decided DW didn't kiss his ass enough, and therefore didn't like DW's "attitude". Whatever...
Bluesman. I've been doing some Googling and come across your name many times on other boards. Oddly enough, this confrontational and emotionally disturbed attitude appears on every link I found. Have you considered getting some help or perhaps trying medication? I'm absolutely serious. You seem to have a lot of anger issues and everything you post is negative and often derogatory.

I think Craig was well within his rights to be upset. They've had a year to get this right. They've still failed to get it right. If you spend $3,000 on a drum kit (or any instrument) you expect it to be perfect - especially if you've had assurances. This one wasn't perfect.

The 'Drama Queen' is you, not Craig.