My concert photography website...Let me know what you think

Mapex589

Silver Member
Hey Pass, thank you very much! It is a GREAT job! I just shot Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie last night, what a great show!! I had a very hard time getting any good ones of Joey Jordison (he's playing with Zombie these days) but I thumbed through them last night and saw a couple that might be keepers. I will have those pics on my site by tonight.
Zickosdrummer, this will be the second time I have been to a Bozzio clinic. The last time he brought the big kit it was more of a performace than it was a teaching clinic. So I wont mind if he scales down and shares some more knowledge. Either way....it's Bozzio. Enjoy the Tulsa clinic if you get there!

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Love your work! It's absolutely phenomenal!

Seems like it'd be a fun job, you get to go to all the big shows and get up nice and close for pictures!

-Jonathan

Zickosdrummer

I am photographing the Terry Bozzio clinic on the 21st and I can't wait to get shots of that monster kit of his.
He's going to be in Dallas on the 18th and Tulsa on the 19th but I understand he's not bringing his "Monster Kit". I'm going to try to see him in Tulsa.

Mapex589

Silver Member
Dairyairman, yes I do get press/photo passes to shoot these shows from the pit area in front of the stage. With some of the smaller club shows I usually get permission from the club to shoot and in those cases I just get in the crowd, get beat to hell and hope I get some good shots!

dairyairman

Platinum Member
do you normally get a photographer's pass so you can get right up front without getting crushed or trampled?

Mapex589

Silver Member
Thanks baz, spides and supermac, spides don't burn your pics man!! Isn't it thrill when you get to photograph these guys!? I just found out yesterday I am photographing the Terry Bozzio clinic on the 21st and I can't wait to get shots of that monster kit of his. I will share those pics here for sure!!
Spides666, I was amazed at how good Starship sounded and they really stole the show that night. I forgot what a hit machine they became and the crowd just ate it up!
Funnyman, yes Danny's kit was sick!! Very unique!

baz

Silver Member
...Looking at your pictures makes me want to burn mine.

You have some great shots and it is obvious that you are using more than your eyes when you shoot.

A couple of weeks ago I was able to take some pictures at a Todd Sucherman clinic, then a Benny Greb clinic. I thought that I was the luckiest guy in the world. After checking out your work, I can live with being number two.

I wish you all the best and every success.

Barry

Mapex589

Silver Member
Thank you Zickosdrummer. I shoot digital using a Sony Alpha DSLR-550. The 550 is a very low noise camera in low light up to ISO 1600. The lenses I shoot with are Tamron 70-310mm f/2.8, Sigma 105mm f/2.8/ Minolta 50mm f/1.7 and, 28mm f/2.8 and sometimes a sigma 18-55mm f/2.8. The pictures I posted here are either my 105mm 2.8 or the 70-310mm. I use the other lenses to get the singers and guitar/bass, etc. Drummers can be tough to get a good picture of because of distance and sometimes the kit gets in the way.

Zickosdrummer

Beautiful pics. Do you use film or digital? What kind of cameras, lenses? BTW, I didn't know Tama made clear plexaglass shells.

Mapex589

Silver Member
Thank you Dairyman! The camera definitely comes into play but the real trick is to have fast enough lenses to get those shots. Anything above an f/2.8 wont allow you get the shots in low light without a flash. First off the bands wont allow you to use flash (which makes sense) plus flash removes all of the color and makes the shots lose their pazzaz. I used a 105mm f2.8 lens to get that shot. Thanks again!

dairyairman

Platinum Member
that's a great shot! you must have a very fast camera to freeze that kind of action in a dark setting with no flash.

Mapex589

Silver Member
TFitting, I don't think any of these drummers have seen these images but I have a lot of bands on my site so I know some of them have seen their pics. I just added a couple more pics including my favorite of Ray Luzier with the drum stick over his eyes.

T

TFITTING942

Just wondering, have any of the drummers seen these pics of themselves. These would look good in the their concert programs.

Mapex589

Silver Member
Chazz, Diaryairman - thanks guys. If I have time tonight I will add my favorite pic of Ray from that show. He is throwing his stick and the way it falls over his eyes is awesome. I'll add it to this thread, I think you'll like it. Thanks again!!!

Fuo

Platinum Member
Yah. And I kinda though that other one was portnoy, but ride>head in that case... so I wasn't sure.

dairyairman

Platinum Member
those are great! i love the color and light. i did not recognize ray luzier in that first photo. that is a really freaky picture of him!