My band's first CD

mikeyhanson

Silver Member
The studio's the best place in the world to be. There's nothing else in the world quite like it. So much you can do, so many approaches you can take. It's truly the best sandbox.

I like your stuff....it's got a good 60's San Francisco vibe to it. I like the Burdon-esque vocals, too.

Welcome to your new addiction! My name is Mikey Hanson, and I'm a Studioholic.

deltdrum

My band recorded our first CD (EP I guess) this weekend, and I just got it back. What an experience! Being in the studio was like nothing that I have ever done. It's funny, I've played in front of audiences of all sizes, but there just isn't any kind of adrenaline rush like your first studio take (especially when you're tight on money and studio hours).

We probably could have been pickier (we never went past the 3rd or 4th take), but being 20 y/o college students, we couldn't take our time as we wished. We still managed to finish 5 songs, as well as get mixing done in one day. This whole experience gave me a new level of respect for the greats. I can't believe that they used to do live takes that PERFECTLY!

I wish that I could have gotten a chance to record to a click track. Listening back on things, I can tell that there are a few spots where tempos started to phase a little bit. Maybe next time we'll have more time and be able to go instrument by instrument and record.

Next time, I want to book into the studio later in the afternoon, and have time to warm up with my band. We were stiff and nervous at first, and it showed in the music. Also, I had a horrible time keeping my DW 9000 clamped to the bass pedal. I literally had to reattach it EVERY take. I need a checklist to make sure things like that aren't going to happen.

The studio provided the steel snare (I don't have one). I may or may not have gotten drool all over it.

Anyways, I have absolutely no idea where I was planning on going with this thread. It was just such a unique, humbling, and educational experience and I couldn't wait to talk about it. I can't wait to do it again. I'm definitely jealous of all you studio "regulars".

Here's a link to 4 of the 5 songs we played (the 5th is a big ol' blues jam that wouldn't fit on Reverbnation).

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/13886797