My 2013 NAMM report with pictures

NerfLad

Silver Member
Gotta say, the Liberty drums looked nice, but didn't sound very good.

But worst in show sound-wise was that goofy SJC kit. I asked if the kick inside the kick, the woofer on the floor tom, and the tube through the rack tom were just for the show. The guy hit all three drums and said "the sound speaks for itself." Indeed it did. Just atrocious. In no genre could those lifeless, flappy sounds possibly work. He would have been smarter and more correct to say "this kit is just to attract attention to the booth" and not let anyone play them. Their tenacity is admirable, but I am very embarrassed for them.

Bermuda
I will hence-forth be referring to that as the "Turducken Kit". Hell, maybe they should just put a duck in the bass drum. Would probably sound better.
Sorry to hear the kit was a quack.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Indeed. According to Bermuda, the sound itself was pretty fowl.
That's the problem with caged drums no matter how good they looked when dressed up. The free range ones are happier, healthier and not filled full of stuff that shouldn't be put in them.

Smart work with the article, as always, Ian.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Great job. Nice to see some variety. I think the vintage option on the Gretsch kit may sell a few kits. also congrats to Evans 360 for being selected Best in Show.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Good job Ian! Very informative as I didn't spend much time looking at all the offerings. But a square cymbal? That I must investigate!
The funny thing is there were several things I didn't bother getting pictures of because you were walking around with the good camera.

I will hence-forth be referring to that as the "Turducken Kit". Hell, maybe they should just put a duck in the bass drum. Would probably sound better.
Sorry to hear the kit was a quack.
Indeed. According to Bermuda, the sound itself was pretty fowl.
You guys crack me up. lol.

Bull

Gold Member
Also can't wait to see that 23" Sweet Ride here in Oz. It should make its grand appearance in this backwater sometime circa 2018 I'll wager. Which should give me just enough time to beg, borrow and steal enough money to pay for the thing.
I'm gonna have to wait at least 6 months for one to turn up on Craigslist for $150.It's gonna seem like forever. :p

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
The funny thing is there were several things I didn't bother getting pictures of because you were walking around with the good camera.
Yeah, sorry. I got some things that caught my eye but I didn't want my entire weekend spent doing product shots ;)