musician's friend

rritter

I ordered a Gretsch Renown 6 piece kit that arrived with one of the toms in a different finish and a sever damaged place on the bass drum (shipping damage I suspect). They E. Mailed me return shipping labels no questions asked. Because the reorder was out three months they sent me a 10% off coupon that I used to buy my Sonor Force 3007 6 piece kit. That is what I call customer service. Not only was the Sonor less expensive than the Gretsch having the coupon made it an even better deal. Oh yea, the Sonors are wonderful drums. MF did me right.

Some of the experiences people relate here have quite a bit to do with shipping.

LM201 - I've never shipped anything to TN other than Hermitage/Nashville and have never had a problem but your UPS distribution center sounds bad. UPS local distribution center personnel management is inconsistant so it can significantly depend on your city/location.

Case in point: I have found UPS less than satisfactory in shipping computer equipment to one large US city out east. One piece I sent, very well packaged, wasn't "insured." (Something UPS offers to sell you). When the computer didn't arrive at the destination a follow-up call to UPS resulted in their agent asking me "what do you expect if it wasn't insured." Now, since their tracking system showed it entered the distribution center but was never placed on a truck ... Obviously the management of this station doesn't care if packages walk out from the distribution center if they aren't insured.

As the late Brooke Astor said "Money is like manure; it’s not worth a thing unless it’s spread around.” I strongly prefer to support the music stores in my city even though I realize I may be paying a bit more. The staff tend to be local musicians who need regular daytime jobs to support their potential careers.

Finally, given the customer service mrchattr received from Casico Interstate, next time I do have to order something online I will definitely give them a try. That service does deserve rewarding.

dkerwood

Silver Member
Do scratches and dents result in cracked cymbals at some point?
Dunno... they didn't have many cymbals in stock when I was there, at least none that caught my fancy. Most high dollar things with a manufacturer's warranty get sent back to the manufacturer, so you won't see them in the clearance center.

They did just open a bigger facility, so if you're in the KC area, it's worth checking out. We got my wife a new guitar with just a few scratches (about the same as you'd get "used") for under $100.

Strangelove

Gold Member
They also have a scratch and dent clearance center in the same building as their shipping center. It's a great place to go for great deals with just a bit of cosmetic damage.
Do scratches and dents result in cracked cymbals at some point?

805Drummer

Gold Member
I've been ordering from MF since the dark ages before the www. I've never had a problem with them, though I do tend to order more from zzounds.com these days. I did just order a drum kit from MF though. Should be here next week.
Zzounds.com...I have had some good times prank calling them.

Bruce_B

I've been ordering from MF since the dark ages before the www. I've never had a problem with them, though I do tend to order more from zzounds.com these days. I did just order a drum kit from MF though. Should be here next week.

dkerwood

Silver Member
I know they ship from the same warehouse that ships for Guitar Center and Music 123. I have ordered things from all three and they all seem to come from Kansas City.
They also have a scratch and dent clearance center in the same building as their shipping center. It's a great place to go for great deals with just a bit of cosmetic damage.

Strangelove

Gold Member
I know they ship from the same warehouse that ships for Guitar Center and Music 123. I have ordered things from all three and they all seem to come from Kansas City.

mrchattr

Gold Member
Why aren't you using the local music store? At least give them first shot to beat the online mega-giants prices. If they decline, then go for it.

The local drum store I frequent is happy to beat any online or Guitar Center price. They want your business so it behooves them to do so.
This is a great point, but remember, not a lot of places have good local shops. In my area, discounting Guitar Center, there is one good local shop that carries drum stuff (Dale's Drum Shop, a Five-star dealer), but the other 5 or so places that carry drum stuff are hard to deal with, don't have a knowledgable staff (or, more to the point, they are knowledgable about other instruments), etc. I don't believe in supporting a local shop just because they are local...I believe in supporting a local shop because they deserve the support.

dkerwood

Silver Member
I've bought a lot from Musician's Friend with differing results...

Usually it's just strings, picks, sticks, occasionally heads, tambourines, shakers, or other little things- I order just more than $99 for the free shipping. Usually I have the gear 3 days later. I once bought a Yamaha keyboard and matching Yamaha case. For some reason, the keyboard didn't fit. I called Musician's Friend, they looked up the dimensions of the keyboard, and sent me a Musician's Friend brand case that fit perfectly.

Once I did buy a cheap acoustic bass. The very weekend I got it, the plug got caught and broke all of the wood around the jack rather than simply pulling free. I called Musician's Friend, and they promptly replaced it, no questions asked.

Of course, here's the flip side... about three weeks later, I got a call from someone at MF saying that they shouldn't have replaced it, and certainly shouldn't have provided free shipping in the process. The transaction was over with the replacement already received, so I asked what exactly they wanted from me. Apparently, they were just wanting to confirm the circumstances, but this person tried to make me feel as if I had conned them... I didn't appreciate that.

Overall, though, I've been very pleased with Musician's Friend. Excellent prices with good enough customer service to make me happy.

Morbid Koala

Why aren't you using the local music store? At least give them first shot to beat the online mega-giants prices. If they decline, then go for it.

The local drum store I frequent is happy to beat any online or Guitar Center price. They want your business so it behooves them to do so.

LM201

Yeah, it must be there fault, not the cymbal makers or yours, because you both actually handled it, so that wouldn't make any sense.
I doubt Paiste will let out two high end cymbals with two gashes in them and expect them to go unnoticed. And I certainly don't go around scratching up my cymbals or a screwdriver.

I blame MF because they only ship UPS, who treat all of their packages like crap. With massmusic I have the choice to call in and ask for a different shipping company.

Der Februar

I never order from them anymore. Every cymbal I have purchased ended up with either a gash in it or a crack. It's ridiculous.
Yeah, it must be there fault, not the cymbal makers or yours, because you both actually handled it, so that wouldn't make any sense.

zambizzi

Platinum Member
I like MF but if I'm going to order online I always check Cascio first (interstatemusic.com). They're almost always the cheapest you can find. I usually bring their catalog into Guitar Center with me and force them to beat the lowest price by 10%, if I need something fast.

I got my current drum kit as well as 2 of my guitars from MF; never had anything but good experiences with them. They even sent me some free lugs when I e-mailed them that the threading was bad on one from my floor tom.

Also ordered from MassMusic.net once. Also very good service, just personally don't like their website.