Music you don't listen to anymore...

bearblastbeats

When I was first starting out drumming, I would always play along to my old punk/hardcore/metal bands. (Blood for Blood, Agnostic Front, Dying Fetus, Pig Destroyer... Even some older Green Day ha)
I even went as far as getting some Integrity tattoos, though I do still listen to them :)

I was huge into anything fast and loud. The heavier the better. That of course was well over ten years ago and i guess my ears just can't really get into it anymore..

Some band I will always listen to from back then, but a good majority of it just sounds like junk to me now and all my friends are still eating that stuff up.

Am I getting to old to rock n' roll? Have my talents exceeded the genre?

What music do you not listen to anymore?

toddmc

Gold Member
I dare say a lot of people's experience will be similar to yours (ie used to be into heavy stuff until they "grew out of it").
Guess I went the opposite way- used to listen to rap/ Top 40 before "maturing" and getting into metal. ; )

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I still listen to just about everything I ever did: rock, blues, jazz, fusion, prog, reggae, and various combinations of those. Peace and goodwill.

StickIt

I don't listen to the same things over and over anymore. I love random. And I love new musical experiences, so I really try to be open to new stuff, even if it takes a few listens. I might get stuck in a genre or on a song if I'm studying the drumming, but other than that....I don't listen to as much heavy music, not nearly as much, but a lot of it is still in the rotation.

bearblastbeats

I don't listen to the same things over and over anymore. I love random. And I love new musical experiences, so I really try to be open to new stuff, even if it takes a few listens. I might get stuck in a genre or on a song if I'm studying the drumming, but other than that....I don't listen to as much heavy music, not nearly as much, but a lot of it is still in the rotation.
This is how I feel ATM. I'm pretty bored with my iPod (12000+ songs) and have re-opened my Pandora account and take advantage of the Shuffle button for the stations. The Passion Pit radio station has been real neat and a good change from the Faith No More and Mastodon stations lol.

Whenever those bands or Tool, Perfect Circle or Metallica come on I still listen to them. I find myself listening to Supertramp, Billy Joel, Steely Dan and anything and everything from the 60's-80's more than anything really.

MJD

Silver Member
I find i dont listen to rock anymore. It bores me now for the most part. I prefer pre 1950's pop music (Jazz) and classical stuff mostly. And Opera, lots and lots of opera but then again i've written 3 operas so thats not too surprising.

Fuo

Platinum Member
I think hair metal from grade school is the only music that I used to like that I can no longer stomach. I still dig anything I started listening to in middle school onwards.

But when nu metal started taking off in the mid/late 90s I got kind of annoyed with heavy music and started looking elsewhere... Started listening to a lot of classic rock, jam bands, alternative, and even a little dance and rap music. But eventually (early/mid 00s) metal got good again and I came back.

larryz

Platinum Member
This is gonna upset Sticks aka Glen, but Rush. I love their live shows and have seen them recently, but other than Moving Pictures once a blue moon, I don't listen anymore. As a lad 40+ years ago it was Rush and Kansas and everyone else. I've recently got back into Kansas and still enjoy their old stuff. Mostly because of singer Steve Walsh's golden voice. Goes to show how important a great vocalist is to a band.

Sticks!!!

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Almost nothing falls under "don't listen to anymore".

Yes, certain bands/albums may get regulated to "rarely listen to".

Some bands that I used to consider my top 5 or top 10 favorites have been replaced by newer/better bands.

Some albums have held up through time better than others.

But I can't say I've ever thought "I'm never listening to them again" about someone I liked.

Particularly with Spotify and such, it's easy to pull up something nostalgic for a few tunes, in between seeking out new and cool bands I've never heard of before.

evolving_machine

Silver Member
I still purchase CD's or LP's and I then convert them to my hard drive. I do not purchase much rock anymore, unless I need to learn something.

I mostly purchase jazz, classical or music that is from other origins. I am still looking to find all the works of Max Roach, Elvin Jones, and Tony Williams. It is a large collection of work.

I listen to rock, but I just do not find it as interesting as other forms of music. I play rock and jazz. I think as a drummer I learn more from other forms of music than from rock. The last rock CD I purchased was the Cream reunion at Royal Albert Hall.

Toolate

Platinum Member
Alice in Chains. So good but so grating on the "old" ears. I miss it though.

Creedence. I love this band. So simple and so good- going to play to it now....

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Have my talents exceeded the genre?
This stuck out to me...what exactly do you mean by this? You could have the fastest speed, most complex chops, and insanely-stellar licks, but I don't think you "graduate" from one genre to the next. If you feel as though you're "better than" a genre, or you've done it all within that genre, it would seem that you've hit a plateau and need to dig a bit deeper...

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Even though I've heard Bob Marley's Legend album a few thousand times, I will still buy the new Remix album that will be out soon.

I have a lot of albums by Bob Marley, Led Zeppelin & Pink Floyd, and I hardly listen to any of it anymore. I have a ton of Clash albums too, but I still like them for some reason.

Metal though, sorry Metal guys, I just don't much care for Metal anymore. I was a Metal-Headed Hessian back in the day too (the 80's). I think it's the singing that ruined it for me.

CalebL721

When I was 13 I loved Death Metal. Now I'm about to turn 16 and listen to Alternative, Indie, Classic, and Punk Rock. Favorite bands used to be Cannibal Corpse, Death, Morbid Angel, etc. Now it's Japanther, Kings Of Leon, The Black Keys, The Dune Rats, Cage The Elephant and so many others. Quite the change.

Bonzobilly

I'm 39. Since I was about 27-30, the older I got from then on the more dead people I listen to. Take it for what you will. Nothing still however, makes me tick like good old rock n roll. Be it AC/DC, or slipknot. It's all rock to me.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
What I never listen to is the radio, at least not for music. The idea of using a radio as a source of music is almost foreign to me. I wore out the original CD player in my truck. Peace and goodwill.