Music (Drum) Writing Software

I want to create PDF's of original sheet music, which I create. Does anyone have experience with any available software, that they could recommend?

One Up One Down

I've used MuseScore a bit as well. It seems to do the job.

It's the only one I've ever used though so I can't say it's any better or worse.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
I used to teach a drumline and jazz band with a band director at a local high school for about a year. I used software to write out music for everything from pep rally's to jazz drum kit. After a while, I found that it was a lot easier for me just to hand write everything. The software took too long, and after some practice you can get the handwritten stuff to look pretty clean and presentable... just a thought

DrumWild

Years back, I remember Sibelius being bundled in with our ProTools 9 package. I'd use it to notate MIDI. In the studio, I had the drums set up with mics and triggers, and would capture the MIDI performances.

It did okay, but I'd have to do a lot of tweaking to make it presentable. For example, it wasn't connecting groups of 16th notes, so you'd have a bunch of stand-alone 16th notes in a row.

Just looked it up, and it's really expensive!

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Years back, I remember Sibelius being bundled in with our ProTools 9 package. I'd use it to notate MIDI. In the studio, I had the drums set up with mics and triggers, and would capture the MIDI performances.

It did okay, but I'd have to do a lot of tweaking to make it presentable. For example, it wasn't connecting groups of 16th notes, so you'd have a bunch of stand-alone 16th notes in a row.

Just looked it up, and it's really expensive!
I use it a lot at work. It's pretty much the gold standard in music notation software and it is very tweakable, with plug-in support for particular things. You can set the preferences to join notes together quite easily and there is an option on the keypad to do it, with quick-select available.

It is expensive (it's from Avid, after all, the same people that make Pro Tools) and Musescore will get you the same result eventually. Sibelius is the de-facto standard (and has been since the late 90s) so people are unwilling to shift from it.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
I still use Sibelius, but there's great chances that I will be using Dorico, in the future.

Dorico is a relatively new application, made by some of the people who made previous versions of Sibelius.

They aim at becoming the new standard. Drum set notation isn't implemented yet, but should be available soon.