Multiple bass drums, and a couple other questions

First for my other posts: Post 1 x7 vs sonor 3007. Was expecting money for christmas and wanted to upgrade. other posts: Curiosity. I hadn't really been using my hats cuz they're 13 zbts and sound pretty crappy, but now like most drummers wouldn't be caught w/o hats. My previous posts and many to come are really based on hypotheticals. I'm long away from my dream sjc kit (i do however still love the idea of 3 floor toms because i love the low-end) And its not so much that i want to break the mold as i just know what i like :)

Now on to the questions at hand, first thanks for the thoughtfilled responses, still not used to that on anonymous forums lol. So 3, for any realistic situation would be out of the question, so if thats the case i think the 22 would be the first to go.

I would still like to know if anyone can answer the 24 doubling question.

And as for the onyx heads, they have very specific applications, that just don't suit my taste. I like a really low tuned drums and those heads are just too thick. I realize his kit is maple so it will sound much better than mine regardless of heads but i'd like to get as close to the sound of ricky firacelli(sp) kit on youtube. I'm not like a fanboy but i do really like that tom sound. Just search ricky drum cover and they'll pop up

zfzgg

My advice: Don't.

Here's why:

-When playing live, your bass drum sound has a lot more to do with what the sound guy does than what bass drum you use. You take three bass drums to a gig and I bet they all end up sounding almost the same from the audience's perspective.

-When playing live, you'll have to lug your own gear around. One bass drum is bad enough. Believe me, when you start gigging you will ditch the extra two bass drums very. very. quickly.

-When playing live, your stage space can be very small. Three bass drums simply won't fit on the stage at half the gigs you do, which kind of renders the whole idea mute.

-When playing live (and I've saved the best 'till last), chances are you won't be providing the mics. The club will, and their sound guy will be miking your kit. First of all, you'll be very lucky to find any club that has three bass drums and enough space on their desk to mix them all. Secondly, you'll be even luckier to find a sound guy who is willing to mic three bass drums when he knows full well they'll all sound the same in the end anyway.

It might be fun for practicing in your basement (and to look at!), but unless you are part of an international touring band with roadies and your own sound guy....really really don't bother. You're just wasting your time and everyone else's when you're still setting up 20 minutes after the previous band finished playing.

- - - - - - -

Some observations from previous threads...

Your last thread was about buying a new kit. The one before that was about drumming without hihats and before that was another new kit thread. You have a dangerous combination of hard earned money and a strong desire to break the mold.

Please don't break the mold just yet. You'll really regret it, I promise. I went through the same thing recently. Bought myself a DW bass drum cradle. BAM! There goes $400. I used that thing on maybe two gigs and it ended up using more space than a full sized kick anyway. Shortly after I bought a Pearl RH2000 remote hihat stand. BAM! $500 gone. ONE REHEARSAL is all that terrible thing got me, and it's been sitting on my shelf ever since. For that money I could have upgraded to A customs or AAX's etc AND bought myself an Iron Cobra, both of which would be very useful to me right now, as my XS20's aren't cutting the mustard and my kick people is just plain terrible.

What I am saying is this: Things are the way they are for a reason. While you are still getting all of your gear sorted, you are much MUCH better off getting good quality stuff that will definitely be used, rather than exotic stuff that, let's face it, you're just getting to be unique. Get yourself a good quality 4 or 5 piece kit in universal sizes, get some A's and some good pedals and you're set for a long time. Three bass drums will cost you about the same as an entire small kit of similar quality anyway.

/novel.

Mikecore

Silver Member
It's getting to be quite acceptable for a drummer to add a secondary kick drum for a different feel, so as long as you are willing to spend and carry, then a third bass should not be any trouble....as long as you have room on the stage. If you wanted to have them all to one side then you get something like this:

A bit cumbersome, but easy to do with all of the most commonly available parts in just about any drumshop. Another way would be to have the 22" bass on a lefty double pedal, the 18" on a single pedal to the right of that and then the 24" on a righty remote. That would save a bit of stage space, though I would make sure the driveshaft on the lefty pedal is top-notch. It will get a lot of use, and may have to be replaced from time to time.

As far as pedals go, I use DW for this very reason. The hardware is flexible enough to customize a pedal setup pretty well, and single post auxilliary side pedals make it easy to fit multiple pedals that close together. The other option, though expensive, would be Pearl Demon Drives, which are based on modular design. That type of design allows the DD pedals to be just about whatever you need them to be, and they are single post as well.

I'm assuming you mean tom heads when you asked about Pins versus G2? I'm using white G2 Coateds and getting a nice sound. It would help to know what you found so terrible about the Onyx heads that turned you away from them.

Alright so i've been listening to a lot of drums on youtube thru covers and whatnot, and generally just paying more attention to the drum parts in my favorite songs. There's a lot of different bass drum sounds out there, and some would be hard if not impossible to get out of different drums. I play fairly bass heavy and was just wondering what u thought of sets w/ multiple bass drums of different sizes. Right now i lean towards 24x16, 22x18, and 16 or 18x16. Assuming money is no issue does that seem too crazy? I mean i see a lot of drummers w/ double and triple bass sets now, and since i like a lot of variation in general i think at least having multiple bd sizes.
1) If one could be done without which would u toss?
2) I also play a decent amount of double bass, is a 24 w/ normal amount of muffling too overpowering to play it on?
3) For playing a triple bass would u recomend just moving around, or using remote pedals for the ones on left and right?
4) Random, to those w/ a tama imperalstar do u recomend remo pinstripes or evans clear g2s? Its getting bout time to replace mine and I WILL NOT be playing evans onyx anymore.
5) Just general thoughts on the whole situation