Mounting Toms off cymbal stands...

xsarith

Hey guys, about a month ago I purchased new Tama kit, the Toms are mounted off of my cymbal stands, I like it this way because of the way the toms can be set up in any way I like. but it took me ages to get them perfectly level, angled the same, and get them just perfect.

If I'm going to have to move my kit for band practice or a gig then when i set them up they wont be perfect and just a rough area of where they should be, unless I spend ages getting them the same. So how could any of you guys recommend me being able to set them up exactly the same every time fairly cheaply.

I thought about getting a tom stand, but then I have a bit of limitation, not really enough to effect me, its mainly the cost of one, the best one I could find was £50+ and I'm a teen with no money already but I could see that being the best solution even though I'd have to save quite a bit.

Cheers guys.

Also I'm sorry I didn't know where to put this on the forum so I'm hoping here is okay, if not then could it be moved some how?

zarrdoss

Gold Member
buy a drum mat or rug and mark where all your stands and drums are on it. a combo of that and your memory locks should make for a quick set up.

Fuo

Platinum Member
Put a memory lock on the stand, under the tom mount, and remember how the tom mount lines up with it... That takes care of height and rotation (around the stand). Then, just don't change the angle of the tom arm when you move it... Or just don't mess with the stand AT ALL when moving (aside from collapsing the legs).

Also, setup on a movable drum rug, and mark the positions of all legs on the rug (tape or velcro or something).

tard

Gold Member
Memory locks is the permanent solution but if you cant afford them all at once use masking tape and a marker, put a piece of tape on the tom arms up close to the holder and put a mark on the tape near a screw or seam as a reference, same thing for the mount that holds the tom arm to the cymbal stand, put a piece of tape just under where the mount goes on the stand and draw a line at the seam or a screw, leave the tom arms fastened in the mount and if you have more than one label them from one side to the other "a,b,c,d" or "1,2,3,4" etc, and if you can get a carpet and mark the positions of everything on it that can be a big help too. Hope that helps. Personally I dont break my stands down anymore, I leave everything attached and just fold in the tripod legs and go but I also own the PA and the trailer that hauls everything so dealing with full length stands is not a problem either.

xsarith

Well memory locks seems to be my best bet, they don't look overly expensive either, I use Gibraltar 6000 series boom stands which tube diameters are 1-1/4", 1", 7/8" there mounted off the middle tube so I assuming 1" locks can be used to lock the height of tube itself and the height of the multi-clamp for the toms which means they'll be the right height and the angle of the multi-clamp will be the same.

The only thing after that would be to memory lock the tom holder which is the Tama MTH900AS, the tube diameter is 0.75", the Tama ML191N Memory Lock should not only be the right size I'm also going to hazard a guess that it was designed with the tom arm/multi-clamp in mind.

So would I be right in doing this to keep it at the height?
Should I also lock the rest of the stand as well so its exactly the same for not only the toms but everything including cymbal height every time it is set up?

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Just experiment around and learn what works best for you. If I attach anything to a cymbal stand by using a clamp, I leave the clamp on the stand. If I am attaching a drum to a cymbal stand, I try to put the tom arm into the stand (if possible) and clamp the rest of the cymbal stand to it. That way the heaviest thing in centered on the stand; it seems to be sturdier. All of the suggestions above are good too. Peace and goodwill.

MikeM

Platinum Member
I hang my toms from cymbal stands without memory locks or anything like that. Not trying to make a statement with that, just too lazy to go through the trouble is all. I'm pretty fast at setting up. I don't collapse the tube coming out of the tripod and I don't disturb the angle of the ball mounts (I use Tama stands, too), that way it's never very far off when I go to set up again.

Now, if I were to get a wild hair, I'd definitely do something about those floor tom legs (I use two floors)! Not much you can do about that except start over every single time - unless you're smarter than me and use memory locks and some kind of identifier so you know which leg goes on which tom and where ... I really gotta do something about that.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
For floor tom legs you can use small hose clamps. I put two legs at the same height and one a little a bit shorter, so knowing which leg goes where is not a problem. Peace and goodwill.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Hey guys, about a month ago I purchased new Tama kit, the Toms are mounted off of my cymbal stands, I like it this way because of the way the toms can be set up in any way I like. but it took me ages to get them perfectly level, angled the same, and get them just perfect.

If I'm going to have to move my kit for band practice or a gig then when i set them up they wont be perfect and just a rough area of where they should be, unless I spend ages getting them the same. So how could any of you guys recommend me being able to set them up exactly the same every time fairly cheaply.

I thought about getting a tom stand, but then I have a bit of limitation, not really enough to effect me, its mainly the cost of one, the best one I could find was £50+ and I'm a teen with no money already but I could see that being the best solution even though I'd have to save quite a bit.

Cheers guys.

Also I'm sorry I didn't know where to put this on the forum so I'm hoping here is okay, if not then could it be moved some how?
You do enough one-nighters with your kit and you'll be installing a bass drum tom mount soon enough, or you'll go to a four-piece and use a snare stand for one tom ;)

xsarith

Well I think Drumolator has solved MikeMs problem, you can also buy floor tom clamps too and for an identifier I would get a small bit of masking tape and wrap it round the bottom of every leg, then using felt tips do a colour mark on it, then get a small square of it and put it on the mount thats on the floor tom it self and colour it the same colour if that makes sence. I don't bother wit the floor tom legs myself its pretty easy to set them up and takes just a few seconds.

I know the drum tech guy at my local store pretty well, I rung him today and he said hes got some on old stands so I'm going to head there soon (a few days) and were going to search for some, then price them up, if its only going to a bit less then a stand I'll save up and buy a tom stand, although there like £52 here.

xsarith

I just mark up my stands with a sharpie at all the adjustment points. Easy fast setup every time.
Believe it or not this is what Ive been doing since i started drumming, it seemed like common sence to me, but you've probably noticed you always a little off, I can handle that with cymbals but my toms have to be perfect, its like ocd for my toms, that's why I'm looking for a more precise solution.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
True, it can be a few mm off! Which I can live with. Sounds like you have a lead on a solution that might work though... let us know how you get on!

xsarith

I can live with a few mm off everything, even the toms, its just that the toms have to be perfectly level with each other, they can all be a different height from usual just as long as they're all level, not even half a mm off from on another, I'm that bad with it. Having the locks means that once I've got them all perfect they'll stay that way and be set up like that every time.

Im probably going to head in to town tomorrow and see if there's any in my local store, Ill update here once i'm back.

xsarith

Well I went to my local store today picked up all the lock I need to lock every part of my stand......apart from the 1inch ones which is were for main pipe and multi-clamp, I'll just have to buy them online in a week or so. I saved a lot of money though, I paid £5 for what would of cost me about £15-20 online, I have to admit I love my music store, they're usually always cheaper then the net and if not then they usually give me a discount anyway.