Mounting Cobra coil on a older Iron cobra

Nilsdrums

Hi!

I recently bought an Iron Cobra Hp900 Powerglide from the second generation(I think it is from 2010/11). To get the pedal smoother I want to mount a cobra coil on it. Is this easy to do on an older IC? It does seem to have a hole in the bottom that seems to fit a cobra coil. Also, I haven't played the pedal yet so what's your opinions on it? I already know it's built like a tank and will hold forever but Is it smooth and good for doing fast doubles? Is it very different from the newer(3rd) generation of IC's or is it just minor differences in feel and features?

Here is a picture of it:
ee75f2e0-9aa1-11e9-86b1-77012e95b68a.jpeg

WallyY

Platinum Member
It's a good pedal. It's fast if you don't play heel-toe. For heel-toe the speed cobra is faster.
the differences are minor from the newer to the older version.
You will need to drill holes in the base plate if you want to add the cobra coil.
The cobra coil is not needed and can make the pedal slower if it's too tight.

Speed Cobra 310 is very fast without the coil. The best way to make the 310 more like the regular Speed Cobra is to change the large beater to the smaller one like th3 910. I play a Speed Cobra 910 at home and use a 310 at a friend's house. I set them both up for me. The only difference is the beater. Both are fast. It's difficult to notice the difference with the coil or without.

Nilsdrums

It's a good pedal. It's fast if you don't play heel-toe. For heel-toe the speed cobra is faster.
the differences are minor from the newer to the older version.
You will need to drill holes in the base plate if you want to add the cobra coil.
The cobra coil is not needed and can make the pedal slower if it's too tight.

Speed Cobra 310 is very fast without the coil. The best way to make the 310 more like the regular Speed Cobra is to change the large beater to the smaller one like th3 910. I play a Speed Cobra 910 at home and use a 310 at a friend's house. I set them both up for me. The only difference is the beater. Both are fast. It's difficult to notice the difference with the coil or without.
Thanks for the answer! Sounds good! Im also thinking about maybe changing the power glide to a rolling glide, I've heard that one is better for speed as well? I mostly play heel up when i make powerful kicks and heel down when I do faster double strokes so no heel-toe for me:) Are you sure i have to drill? I do have two small screw holes and a bigger hole between them(Look at the picture of it in my original post), isn't that for the cobra coil or do i have to drill?

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Thanks for the answer! Sounds good! Im also thinking about maybe changing the power glide to a rolling glide, I've heard that one is better for speed as well? I mostly play heel up when i make powerful kicks and heel down when I do faster double strokes so no heel-toe for me:) Are you sure i have to drill? I do have two small screw holes and a bigger hole between them(Look at the picture of it in my original post), isn't that for the cobra coil or do i have to drill?
No drilling necessary. That hole in the baseplate is for the Cobra Coil.

beatdat

Awesome! Then I guess I can just buy a cobra coil and try it out to see if I like it or not!:)
I have a TAMA SC910, and angle the footplate at about 45 degrees; when fully pressed down, the footplate doesn't touch the cobra coil at all, no matter where I position the coil. Keep this in mind before you spend your money.

I like Tama for being a really innovative company with loads of useful details.

The cobra coil isn't one of these though. I bought the same model (as rolling glide) years ago with attached cobra coil and removed it immediately after minutes. Maybe it works well with really hard spring tensions, but if you prefer looser tension, what happens is exactly this:

The foot plate sort of "jumps" back really quick, but since the cam with the beater doesn't spring back as soon, the chain looses tension, hence the board "falls back" into the chain after you raise your leg. I don't really know how to describe, hope you get what I'm trying to say.

All it does is adding a very unnatural feeling to your playing instead of speed, smoothness or whatever.

Btw your cobra must be the 3rd generation that first came out with the coil regularly at least in the rolling glide version.

Last edited:

WallyY

Platinum Member
I had to dig out my old Iron Cobra to see why it didn't work on my pedal.
As you can see, the baseplate is very different.
And my pedal looks newer than Nils'.IMG_8002.jpg

No, THAT is the 2nd generation as you can see at the cam. The writing says "rolling glide" or "power glide", not R or P as on the 3rd generation cams.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I had to dig out my old Iron Cobra to see why it didn't work on my pedal.
As you can see, the baseplate is very different.
And my pedal looks newer than Nils'.View attachment 86281
Nils' Cobra Coil slot looks centered on the footboard where yours does not. This doesn't mean it will work, but the possibility is more so.

It could also be that Tama uses the same baseplate across the board. That would save manufacturing costs. It would also make the Cobra Coil working more of a possibility.