mounting a splash directly on high hat stand

I recently bought a drop clutch for my hats, so now i have a spare ...clutch? Anyway the thing you are suppposed to mount the top hat on. I play my hats pretty low, so there was a decent amount of room left at the top to mount my splash. This isn't something i recall having seen before, and i'm curious if that's for good reason. Any downsides? Am i risking cracking the splash moreso than on a regular stand, is it bad for the hh stand? Anything else?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The clutch can be set loose to allow the splash to move.
I think that the splash will be in the way of you hitting your hats.
I would mount the splash in a different place.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Sounds like a good idea. Try it out and let us know how it works.

The only reason it would be a bad idea, I would think, would be the possibility of the rod getting broken from the cymbal being hit too hard...

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Mark Zonder does this on his 2nd hi-hat, but he mounts the splash upside down for more of a China effect.

I'm tried mounting a splash on a clutch before, but because the center of a clutch is much thicker than a cymbal stand, it doesn't give the splash much room to move, and prevented the splash from sounding it's best.

But no harm in trying

kettles

Gold Member
I've done it, easier than carrying round an extra arm + clamp. If you put the splash in upside down, and then mount it the right way up (so the clutch's wingnut is beneath the cymbal) you can get a little extra height.

Just tighten it up to where the cymbal can move loosely, but not so loose that it hits the metal on both sides of the hole, if you know what I mean. Stick some tape around the clutch too and change it often.

AtomicFlapjack

My guitarist has this on his kit. It can be annoying by getting in the way of hats (you wouldn't want to have a12'' splash on 13'' hats!) but overall it's all right, saves buying a stand. Just make sure you keep it nice and loose.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
......but because the center of a clutch is much thicker than a cymbal stand, it doesn't give the splash much room to move,
That would be my only concern. The idea in itself is fine....just be aware of keyholing issues as a result of the thicker shaft, added to the need to keep the clutch loose.

That would be my only concern. The idea in itself is fine....just be aware of keyholing issues as a result of the thicker shaft, added to the need to keep the clutch loose.
Pocket makes a good point.

Further justifying this stance of the divide, I've mounted a splash like this on a few occasions, the result is a remnant buzzing sound, from the cymbal resting against the clutch shaft. Splashes are probably the easiest thing to keyhole too, so take that into consideration.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I have mounted a splash on an x-hat before, in the same manner than Neil Peart has, by using a cymbal stacker that fits over the end of the hi-hat rod. I wouldn't personally use a clutch, nor would I use it on my primary hi-hat stand.

Attachments