Motivation

straightupgroove

Can i just ask everyone how they keep themselves motivated to improve and practice? What do you do when you seem to have run out of motivation to practice?

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
To enjoy playing music I try to make my life inspirational.

When it comes to daily practice, I consider my daily routine my duty and don't question it. I do it regardless, but take a day off here and there.

If you are burned out on it I'd take a longer break. Go traveling, enjoy nature, go to some shows. Give it a while until you need to do it. After practicing for years, taking a few weeks completely off can be a very good thing both for you and your playing.

Just fil the rest of your lifw with what inspires and excites you, whatever that is.

iontheable

Anytime I see live music ...even if the drums aren't up to snuff I immediately want to go home and play.

Xero Talent

Silver Member
Anytime I feel like I'm stuck in a rut, or just don't have the motivation to practice, I'll throw on a live concert DVD and get pumped up again... off to the woodshed I go.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Anytime I feel like I'm stuck in a rut, or just don't have the motivation to practice, I'll throw on a live concert DVD and get pumped up again... off to the woodshed I go.
Pretty much what I do too, a live DVD, an educational DVD (I love Benny's Language of drumming) or listening and watching any inspiring drummers on the net, I just get the vibe and motivation, and often, with great effect on my practice.

But I also do my routine stuff, I rarely get stuck for motivation though, there's so many aspect of drumming I need to improve, the list is almost endless, if I don't feel doing technical stuff, I'll work on a feel or time keeping with the metronome or... whatever is the flavor of the day. If the worse come to the worse, I'll do a short practice solely on rudiments for say half an hour or three quarter an hour.