Mostly For Ladypersons - Just Do Music

WallyY

Platinum Member
My old girlfriend would start fights with guys in bars because of sexist comments. The guy was always thrown out of the bar without question and I always dreaded the phrase "get ready wally!"

But she played a really beautiful set of rosewood Sonors so it was like having two girlfriends at the same time!

See what I did there?

mikel

Platinum Member
I am not chauvinistic enough to think that the a whole gender needs "me" to encourage them to do anything. I am certain that women can make there own minds up regarding what career or interests they should follow. Once someone has made there own mind up to do something, then I will give them all the support they ask for.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
I am not chauvinistic enough to think that the a whole gender needs "me" to encourage them to do anything. I am certain that women can make there own minds up regarding what career or interests they should follow. Once someone has made there own mind up to do something, then I will give them all the support they ask for.
Couldn't agree more, Hers and His.

Last edited:

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I think the true lack of interest comes mostly from the venues rock bands play in, the hours of participation and the whole random/abstract existence that is a rock band. Most women would rather join the community choir/ community concert band play or sing from 7 -8:30 every Thursday in the warm, clean well lit community center or church choir room and be home to tuck in the kids.
Sounds a tad dull for me, D. Where's the edge? The buzz? The passion of playing your own songs and testing them on audiences?

You're far more exposed in a small group as opposed to being a small part of a large, well-drilled team. Playing in a budding rock band is exciting, which is not to say that orchestral or choir gigs don't have their own excitement when everything clicks. Each has their attractions to each gender, although obviously a much higher percentage of guys go into RnR. I've almost always been outnumbered in bands and sometimes the only woman. RnR is good for women who enjoy the company of men (as human beings). I've often chatted with women after gigs who, as the article said, would tell me that they wished they could play drums.

Choirs and orchestras have comfort, finesse and subtlety and the buzz of being part of a huge, glorious noise. But there's little opportunity to improvise, be part of the songwriting and arranging, or to enjoy the camaraderie of variably maladjusted cohorts in seedy places.

As Robert Fripp said, rock n' roll is a "liberal education". You see a lot of dirt and grime and, in a perverse way you can grow to love it because it feels free. People are less fussy and you need worry less about social faux pas, how you dress, spilling a drink, language etc because people don't care. The scene attracts a lot of crazies and "colourful people" which can be dangerous but it's usually just interesting and funny.

You can't take yourself seriously in RnR. You have to be a bit crazy, I think. It's folk art, not fine art - and that means more simplicity, goofiness and rawness and less need to be disciplined, something that's never been my strong suit anyway.

Horses for courses.