Most Underrated Drummer - Male + Female?

laaBeats

Martin Bulloch from the band Mogwai, in my opinion, is a very underrated player, especially in the post rock, shoegaze genre. A lot of drummers in this genre or similar genres overplay their instrument and are frequently more talked about.

RogerLudwig

I know I'm showing my age with these picks, but...

a tie between Fito de la Parra and Bill Kreutzmann (m)

Maureen (Mo) Tucker (f)

Last edited:

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I'm a big fan of Gary Novak's playing, and I'm dropping his name whenever I can. I'm not sure if he really is that underrated. In fact, this under-/overrated thing can be quite subjective and experienced differently depending on the people surrounding you everyday, and the information you personally receive through the internet, tv, music etc.

720hours World Record

Chad Wackerman is a fantastic player who rarely gets a mention...
I agree !! I saw him in a clinic a few weeks ago at Dales Drum Shop, he was fantastic.

When you go watch the videos of what was played while with Frank Zappa - it was mind boggling. As Chad said "Frank had Polyrhythms within Polyrhythms within Polyrhythms"

Plook

Male - Rob Dimaggio. He plays on the George Lopez show. I saw him at a clinic and he played EVERY style well. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n4s9NXRJmA He's originally from France but don't hold that against him.

Female - Nikki Glaspie!!!! Hands down the best female drummer you've seen. Saw her on SNL with Beyonce and couldn't believe my ears. The first female drummer to blow me away. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Haa5J69uqbM&feature=related

Gary Novak is great too. Deen Castronovo used to be my favourite way back in the day. So rock solid it's scary.

I'm like Pollyanna and put a lot of stock in the thinking up of unique musical drum parts when considering the "underrated" category.

Male:
Mick Fleetwood
Mick "Woody" Woodmansey (Ziggy era Bowie)
Pete Thomas (E. Costello & The Attractions)
George Hurley (The Minutemen, fiREHOSE)
David Lovering (Pixies)

Female:
Mo Tucker (Velvet Underground)
Gina Schock (The Go-Gos)
Meg White
Sheila E.
Karen Carpenter

Love those Larry Mullen Jr., Prairie Prince, Andy Newmark and Aynsley shout outs, too.

Last edited: