Most portable/fastest set up time kit you've seen

Toolate

Platinum Member
Having started late in life, I am totally nuts over drumming and it has occurred to me how much of a pain in the ass it is to set up a kit and just how big and heavy they are to store, set up, transport anywhere etc. even in the most basic snare/kick/hats form when you consider the hardware.

I am wondering if anyone has seen anything that is truly a departure from the traditional kit that can be setup in a short time but really maintains somewhat traditional drum sounds. By a short time I mean 3-4 minutes at most but ideally half that.

I am thinking that there are so many college kids (how many threads are there about finding ways to play at college), street performers and just drummers in general that someone must have an invention that is easy to move around, still fun to play and sounds good.

Anyone? The cajon is just too lacking in the hi hat department for me-I need hats, a crash and a ride in some form at least.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
A cocktail kit would probably be your best bet, or perhaps an electronic kit that doesn't need to be assembled, just plugged in.
I dunno though, I'm always a snob about how I set up my stuff so I don't mind making people wait a bit for me so I can be comfortable (within reason).

-Jonathan

skod

The Roland HD-1 ( http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=890&ParentId=60 ) . I saw a cruise ship drummer walk up with one of these with their little built-in monitor on it, plug into the PA for the area they were playing, and be ready to go literally within 2 minutes of entering the room. Sounded remarkably good as a member of a trio with upright bass and acoustic piano...

It is true that it is not particularly close to a traditional acoustic kit, nor does it have the ability to allow for a lot of setup or feel options. But there's no question in my mind that it gives you the most portable sounds there are, and it really does play very well for what it is.

Spreggy

Silver Member
This thread has some good tips on the finer points of moving the instrument, and countless other threads like it.

The bottom line is, if you want to play drums, you need a drum set, and they aren't piccolos. Cocktail kits and electronic drums have one major drawback: they aren't drumsets.

Toolate

Platinum Member
I have an electric kit and have seen cocktails but they both have some drawbacks. The gigpig is more along the lines of what I am talking about but when you really llook at that thing, it looks hard to transport without major disassembly and with all the cymbal arms and heads showing, it lookslike it would be a challenge to transport and set up without damaging something along the way. Like from your college dorm room to the field/party or from your apartment to the street where you busk or a bar gig.

I agree that a kit is a kit in terms of looks and playabity, just wondering if anyone had ever invented a fold up kit or something that is really quick and portable. Maybe some sacrifices but acceptable sounds and really great portability.

I think I am headed out to my workshop...

New Tricks

Platinum Member
Cocktail kits and electronic drums have one major drawback: they aren't drumsets.
I'd argue that, re: E kits, you can have as big of a set as you'd like and, they are drums. An electric guitar is still a guitar, right?

Last edited:

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
A cocktail kit would probably be your best bet, or perhaps an electronic kit that doesn't need to be assembled, just plugged in.
I dunno though, I'm always a snob about how I set up my stuff so I don't mind making people wait a bit for me so I can be comfortable (within reason).

-Jonathan
Another vote for the cocktail kit. I have played mine nearly two years. Very fast setup and tear down and does 90 percent of what a regular kit does. Most of the musicians I play with, prefer me on the cocktail set.

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
This thread has some good tips on the finer points of moving the instrument, and countless other threads like it.

The bottom line is, if you want to play drums, you need a drum set, and they aren't piccolos. Cocktail kits and electronic drums have one major drawback: they aren't drumsets.
But therein lies the advantage of a cocktail set: 90 percent of the sound (most musicians tell me they can't even tell the difference), much less overbearing in terms of volume and size. Plus, the cocktail kit has a high cool factor because you're standing, unlike the electronic kits and GigPig, which look pretty dorky in my opinion.