More Creative on a Larger Kit

mmulcahy1

Platinum Member
Ok, we've done the "More Creative on a Smaller Kit" (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118901) thing to death.

Let's discuss the opposite side of spectrum.

I play a 6-piece kit (8/10/12/16/22/14) and while is not extremely large, I don't always use my 8 inch tom, it's there for flavor when I need/want it - comes in handy with Funk styles. The 10, 12. & 16 toms I use all the time.

uhtrinity

I'm not creative enough to play on a 4 piece, so I use a 6 piece with as many cymbals. Honestly I use more traditional rock fills and feel limited with less than 3 toms. A 7 piece is just a little too much, so I settled for 6. All personal preference.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
This thread brings up a good point.

When I practice on my pillow, maybe I should use two pillows so I can learn to be more creative.

Winegums

Silver Member
I think it was already settled in the other thread that creativity is in your head not what you play on. A better thread to start would be "How do you use your kit creatively?".

MLdrum

I usually just play on whatever's there or needed for the job. It may be anything from 2 piece to 7 piece kits. If you can do that AND don't feel strangled or overwhelmed, you're pretty creatively independent (I don't know if that's grammatically possible to say, but whatevs). Most of the time I'm pretty comfortable with a 4-piece and some cymbals. Quite often it depends on how much time I've got to get it all set up (usually not that much time). I want more toms whenever I can have them, but anything more than 4-5 toms plus an extra snare and I don't know where to put the rest (I'm not too fond of any drum under 12" in diameter, even though I have both 8" and 10"(tom&snare) available on my current kit). And now I'll cut myself off from rambling too much.

You don't need green in your palette to paint blue, but sometimes you want green. And then having only blue just won't do it for you. You need yellow as well.

loki03xlh

I'm a fan of large kits. My fav was a 9pc dbl bass Ludwig Rocker. I'm now playing a 6 pc. It doesn't matter much to me whether I am using 2, 3, or 4 toms. The one thing that bothers me the most is if I am behind a kit that only has one floor tom. I gotta have two, and the 14" ain't cutting it any more.

Winegums

Silver Member
I'm a fan of large kits. My fav was a 9pc dbl bass Ludwig Rocker. I'm now playing a 6 pc. It doesn't matter much to me whether I am using 2, 3, or 4 toms. The one thing that bothers me the most is if I am behind a kit that only has one floor tom. I gotta have two, and the 14" ain't cutting it any more.
I have 14" and 16" floor toms and the 14" is too small for a 10" 12" 14" 16" setup. I'd rather it was a 15" floor tom for some more bass and depth to the sound. I couldn't be happer though with my 16" which is perfect for builds and feels like it's hitting you in the chest.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Hey great thread..........for my seven year old.

I might send her over. The logic is right up her alley. If it ain't black, then it just HAS to be white, yeah? :)