Monetisation of YouTube drum videos.

L-McP

If you were to record some YouTube videos showing how to play certain famous drum intros and grooves, could you monetize those videos? Or would that go against YT's t&cs?

It is impossible to copyright a drum beat, so am I right in thinking that so long as you didn't include the song or any melodies or lyrics from the song then you would alright to monetize it?

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Sure dude! Go for it. You'll be rich in no time, and won't even have to come up with anything original!

But seriously, have you ever looked up how many viewers it takes to make any money at all with youtube vids? Even gathering up clicks by people searching for popular drum licks, you're very unlikely to get anything out of it. Not to mention, it's been done to death and you're competing with a huge group of other youtube drum "educators". You'll need to think of a way to make your stuff stand out from them. I suggest being an attractive lady, but we can't always control that factor.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
If you were to record some YouTube videos showing how to play certain famous drum intros and grooves, could you monetize those videos? Or would that go against YT's t&cs?

It is impossible to copyright a drum beat, so am I right in thinking that so long as you didn't include the song or any melodies or lyrics from the song then you would alright to monetize it?
In general you can copyright drum music get a lawyer, however in the case of YouTube your ASCAP is covered. Good luck monetizing it though.

porter

Platinum Member
If you are able to make more than a fractional dollar amount doing this, I will compact my Oriollo snare into a cube of aluminum and eat the whole thing.

T

The SunDog

You don't have to "monetise" anything. Videos uploaded to YouTube are your intellectual property and if YouTube manages to generate advertising revenue from your videos then you will begin receiving compensation. Millions of hits could translate into ten's or possibly even hundreds of thousands of dollars. FWIW the best male drummers generate a fraction of the hits that hot chicks with no talent get. So my advice is be better than Cobus or a hot chick.

porter

Platinum Member
¬_¬

Anyways, regardless of what you do at this point, the market is oversaturated and there is very little room for general interest drum videos, especially those without extraordinarily high production values. You can try but, as with all popularity endeavors on the internet, there is no way of predicting success.