Modern Drummer, or DRUM! mags...any educational value?

haroldo_psf

newbie here... playing for about 6 months.

I was wondering if a subscription to either Modern Drummer OR Drum! magazine would have any educational value, or is it mostly a bunch of advertisement for new gear?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
In terms of learning about drums, drummers, and drumming, there's certainly educational value. We all want to keep learning and growing, right? But in terms of those magazines replacing or augmenting lessons, no, there's not much of that kind of content. But that was never their intent.

Bermuda

haroldo_psf

In terms of learning about drums, drummers, and drumming, there's certainly educational value. We all want to keep learning and growing, right? But in terms of those magazines replacing or augmenting lessons, no, there's not much of that kind of content. But that was never their intent.

Bermuda
Well, I consider that educational. Any preference as far as Drum! over MD?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
If you want a good magazine with lessons, and a play along CD in every issue you need to subscribe to DrumHead Magazine. It comes out every other month but is well worth it. Check one out at a music store near you and see what you think. I stopped getting Drum because I feel this magazine is so much better. My 2 cents

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I've had a subscription to Modern Drummer since 1988 or so.
Like Bermuda said, it doesn't replace lessons, but I have learned a ton about gear, who played on what, and what goes into being a drummer. There are lessons as well. Some times I take the time to work on them. But there are often so many in each issue, it's difficult to keep up.

I agree with GRUNTERSDAD, Drumhead magazine is very well done.

I like Drum! too, but they seem to focus more on the younger flavor of the month drummers, so I only tend to buy them when there is a particular drummer or article featured.

Big Foot

Silver Member
You can definitely learn a lot for drum magazines. In terms of improving you playing skills they wouldn't replace regular lessons but there's plenty in the mags to take to a lesson to expand on.
They're great for just learning about drums and equipment.
Also some of the interviews are very informative. Great place to learn about what makes a pro and how he/she got there? The net is great but finding good interviews isn't always easy.

+1 for Drumhead mag. (I'm also a long time Modern Drummer subscriber)

LeftoverPenguin

Looking forward to getting my first issue next month. (This month? I hope it's that soon.) I just subscribed to DRUM a week or so ago. Haven't subscribed to any of these magazines before, but I figured I'd give this one a shot since I happened upon a pretty good deal.

OrangeAgent27

Silver Member
I suscribe to both as I am a magazine junky. ESPN, Drum!, Modern Drummer, Mental Floss and Mens Health actually. Anyhow, they usually have some random sheet music, a breakdown of drum notation and all that. Nothing you couldn't find on the web, however. I do love the articles and they got some great pictures, but let's face it, and this is coming from a magazine nut, these monthly pieces of literature are nothing more than pages upon pages of advertisements.

brady

Platinum Member
I subscribe to Rhythm Magazine. Probably one the few Yanks that do...

It's the best one I've seen for tutorials and interviews. All the lessons are on an included video disc, and have been for a couple years now.

My only issue with Rhythm, and this can be said of most popular drum magazines, is that it seems to favor rock and metal drummers.

I really miss Traps magazine.

Big Foot

Silver Member
I suscribe to both as I am a magazine junky. ESPN, Drum!, Modern Drummer, Mental Floss and Mens Health actually. Anyhow, they usually have some random sheet music, a breakdown of drum notation and all that. Nothing you couldn't find on the web, however. I do love the articles and they got some great pictures, but let's face it, and this is coming from a magazine nut, these monthly pieces of literature are nothing more than pages upon pages of advertisements.
I kinda like the the adds in the drum mags. I want to know what's new from the drum companies. It's not like page-after-page of adds from the drug companies.

Traps was really good!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'm with Bermuda on this one. Drummer magazines tend to have better editorial content versus pure advertisement when compared to say, Vogue, or Cosmopolitan. But at the same time, it doesn't take much to get specifically focused group of people to want something new gear-wise. So, if you can read past the ads for gear, there's things to learn. I remember years ago when Roy Burns had his column in MD called "Concepts" and I gleened some info from that, and it does help disseminate what kind of attitude your favorite drum hero has too.

But every magazine is out to sell more copies, and with the copies sold, sells merchandise. You just have to determine what's more important to you.

Austin DV

Dude I subscribe to Drum and I get so mad almost every month when I get a new issue. Almost every issue has Travis Barker on the front, I never learn anything from reading it. Every now and again they'll have a good article, but it's just so inconsistent that it's not worth it. If it's not too late get a subscription to MD or Drumhead or even Drummer is better!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Dude I subscribe to Drum and I get so mad almost every month when I get a new issue. Almost every issue has Travis Barker on the front, I never learn anything from reading it. Every now and again they'll have a good article, but it's just so inconsistent that it's not worth it. If it's not too late get a subscription to MD or Drumhead or even Drummer is better!
Or, you could just continue playing and studying and save your money. Drum products, like photography products, have this tendency to re-invent themselves every few years. There's nothing really new to see anyway. And your job: playing good time, and grooving for the band, will never change. I always wondered why they call it Modern Drummer, when the actual job of playing drums is very old ;)

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
I subscribe to DRUM!, but certainly not for the tastes of whoever picks who the cover story is on.

I feel that DRUM! has the best mix of educational material, both musical and practical, and of regular stuff. I enjoy it more than Modern Drummer, which as a magazine, is full of advertisements, is cluttered in design, and everything I don't enjoy.

I'd suggest DRUM! as a starting point at least.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I religiously bought Modern Drummer when I was young and I learned a lot from the interviews about the way top drummers approached their music. These days there are so many interviews with top players on the web MD would seem most useful only relevant for those wanting the most current info.

If I was young and starting what I hoped would be a career I'm sure I'd regularly buy drum mags because, when you're at that stage, too much drum stuff is still never enough.

phfreq

I used to subscribe to Modern Drummer. Stopped after 2 yrs and decided I'll just buy the month I really feel is worth buying. After around 3 yrs of not subscribing to MD, I think I've bought only 3.

Last year I subscribed for one year of DRUM! magazine (the Istanbul Agop Cindy Blackman contest made me do it :) ) . I'll let it expire and just buy the issues I like. One thing I really didn't like is that they aren't delivered in protective plastic cover plastic like MD. Most of the time, the magazine arrives at my mailbox torn, crumpled dried for being wet from rain or snow, etc..

Now, I'm thinking about subscribing to Rhythm mag. A bit expensive compared to MD and D! but I've gotten a lot out of single issues than a bunch of the other mags.

Biscuit

Not much to add that hasn't already been said. I actually perfer both Modern Drummer and Drumhead but i also think that Drumhead is just a bit better.