Modern Drummer March 2014 issue - why do they do this?

JosephDAqui

Silver Member
As stated in other posts I may have replied to, I'm not into the competitive thing, I see us all as brotherly artists. However, if you look into the March 2014 issue of MD, they have Lars and above Carter Beauford and some other anomalies like Neil before Tony Williams and Elvin. I just wonder what is the real criteria and why bother? I think it should be listed in no certain order.

What do you guys think?

BillRayDrums

Gold Member
Sometimes layout artists are not drummers and don't know who Lars Ulrich is from Tony Williams.

I did a flyer once for a golf tournament and put one golfer above the other and got a terse note back from the client "Don't you know who Phil Mickelson is? You put him in a small square on the bottom and this other no-name above him in the big one?"

Sorry! :D

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
I just wonder what is the real criteria and why bother? I think it should be listed in no certain order.

What do you guys think?
I think there's no 'order' that would please everyone. As for ctiteria, unless there's a standard, verifiable measure of performance or accomplishment, it's all subjective.

Lists and polls exist for the readers' enjoyment, nothing more.

Bermuda

Krampuz

Im with JosephDAqui on this one.
My guess is they arrange it according to how popular they think the drummer is.
Sure, Lars is no god of drums but he plays in one of the worlds most famous bands, ofcourse they want his face to be seen.
We all play drums because we like it or love it. Who cares if Lars Ulrich is above Neil Peart in a magazine? It's just ridicolous to argue about. You like the drummers you like and you don't want anyone to tell you they suck, so don't tell other drummers they or their idols suck, it's all a matter of taste and preference.

Otto

Platinum Member
Im pretty sure MD is kept afloat mostly by advertisement.

With that in mind, the reason for placement of drummers relative to each other is apparent....its about popularity amongst the readership....and the marketing value of the greatest $ worth of products by those popular artists.

A large set player will encourage greater sales in $...so a player popular with the readership that plays large set?...put 'em up front!

Basics of economics....satisfy the readership and make $ while you are at it.

bromasi

They need to sale magazines otherwise they will just go away just like all the other magazines that are going digital.

Dutch

As stated in other posts I may have replied to, I'm not into the competitive thing, I see us all as brotherly artists. However, if you look into the March 2014 issue of MD, they have Lars and above Carter Beauford and some other anomalies like Neil before Tony Williams and Elvin. I just wonder what is the real criteria and why bother? I think it should be listed in no certain order.

What do you guys think?
I saw the article I think you refer to, and I assume the list (top 50 greatest drummers of all time) is based on a reader's poll.. Which says more about the readers than it does about the drummers. But yeah, I'm with you, it's just silliness to compare, no purpose served..

Dutch

drummingman

Gold Member
The list is based off a readers poll. Its a good way to keep the readers involved with the content of the mag. And for the most part I agree with the list personally.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I haven't seen it but I've seen one before and I think it's a silly poll. It's just not fair on certain drummers and the concept of 'good drumming' conveyed by that poll is not in line with that of good, experienced drummers.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I think the title of the magazine says it all. Modern Drummer. Tony and Elvin are not modern and like most drummers, the ones who took the poll, they don't understand jazz so it's rock all the way.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Then there's the S.I. 50th anniversary swimsuit issue with a Barbie doll...
I assume they're logic is that it will sell a lot of magazines, which is their job in the first place.

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
I think they do it so people will start threads like this and cats like me will post on them to provide even more free exposure.Your welcome MD.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I bought this as an impulse purchase while at GC. What constantly bothers me about lists such as this one are that Gadd and Blane get all the love and Earl Palmer gets shafted. The man created the modern style of rock drumming that we all play today. Hell they put Carl Palmer in.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Any of these lists do not mean a lot and they're often the result of a poll among readers or online users, sure some great names will always appear on these lists as well as great omissions.

The thing is, if you ask 100 drummers to list their "greatest drummers of all times", chances are you'll have 100 different lists, it's all subjective and down to individual choices, I like blue, you like red, he like green and she like pink.

Those who vote are the ones who are likely to look at those lists.

I don't need a list, I know who are the 100 greatest drummers :) :) :)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
As mentioned, it was voted on by the readers. MD advertised for months and months to get people to vote. It's not as if this poll was a secret.

Sure, there were a few surprises, but I don't think there were that many anomalies.

One could make a case that while Tony and Elvin inspired drummers to be more serious and better drummers, guys like Peart and Lars have probably inspired way more non-drummers to take up drums in the first place. Working in drum retail for years, I can certainly say Neil and Lars inspired many gear purchases.

Lars bashing is a favorite past time of many, but the facts are still he was a big inspiration to many in the 80's. And Lars has done so much more outside of drumming itself to inspire people. Lars co-writes all Metallica original songs. Lars is co-leader of the band. James is the front man on stage, but Lars is largely the front man for the band off the stage. Lars started Metallica, and through his vision, guidance and leadership, he build that band from nothing into a multi platinum act. People like Mike Portnoy have Lars is the reason they take the business side of drumming so seriously. Say what you want about his playing, but he built his business, while most of the rest of us just read about it.

Neil is similar, in that he writes all lyrics for Rush, which in turn has determined album titles, and at times, the direction of the band. Sure, this guy or that guy might have been able to play those drum parts, or played this or that lick with those songs, but the fact remains those songs wouldn't be those songs without Neil.

Neil and Lars inspired many to realize hey, a drummer doesn't just have to be the guy in the back taking direction from the singer.

Of course, Tony and Elvin lead their own bands, although in the jazz world, that does tend to be more common (Buddy, Gene, Louie, Art Blakely, Mel Lewsi, etc, etc).

And to be fair, Lars is listed pretty low on the list. (42).

I a bit mystified about Bellson ended up so low, and Portnoy so high, but that's how the voting went down.

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
I bought this as an impulse purchase while at GC. What constantly bothers me about lists such as this one are that Gadd and Blane get all the love and Earl Palmer gets shafted. The man created the modern style of rock drumming that we all play today. Hell they put Carl Palmer in.
And you know what else sucks? I don't know who Earl Palmer is! If he was in a magazine, listed up top, it would create more interest, wouldn't it?

Red Menace

Platinum Member
And you know what else sucks? I don't know who Earl Palmer is! If he was in a magazine, listed up top, it would create more interest, wouldn't it?
http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Earl_Palmer.html

Basically another of the studio greats. His discography reads like a long Best of the 50's list. I suppose I just like that music more that the pop hits of the 70's and 80's that Blain/Gadd are most well known for.