Modern Drummer Festival 2010

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
This years MD fest was so well put together and the playing was astounding. MD did a truly great job in organization and it was an honor to be there. There was a coherent theme this year with much less emphasis on pyrotechnics and more emphasis on making the song great - and after all that is what we do. The master classes with Daniel Glass (who focussed on the history of the shuffle in the 20s, 30s and 40's was truly educational and he is such a knowledgable historian and speaker that everyone left wiser. Chris Coleman also did an inspring job of teaching, involving the audience and blowing everyone away with his playing. Chris Pennie, nursing a sore knee from an accident the night before, Shannon Forrest, Shawn Pelton, Adam Deitch, Benny Greb and Stanton Moore all gave fantastic performances. I suspect that this years DVD from Hudson will be one of the best they have ever released.

Did anyone else attend? Thoughts, comments, questions?

I am honored to be a member of the community of drummers and honored to have been there. Getting to attend as well as hang with these guys as well as many, many other drummers who attended (Swiss Chris, Max Weinberg, Joe Bergamini, John Faviccia, Hannah Ford, Corky Laing, Billy Ward, Kim Plainfield and others) as well as the industry folks I know and love (Kevin Radomski, Matt Connors, Chris Hart, Johnny D, Aaron Jackson, Sara Malaney, Aaron Vishria, Chad Brandolini, Rob Wallis, Paul Siegel and others)was just great. Bring on the next one . . . .

Paul

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Paul - we should have exchanged phone numbers. We could have met up there. Yes, the day was great. I was at the masterclasses as well as the clinics. It was great to talk to guys like John Faviccchia, Jason Gianni, and Jeremy Hummel again. Sometimes I would miss part of the clinic just talking to fellow drummers/teachers out in the lobby!

Where were you sitting? The front was so crowded, I moved to the back behind Kim and the rest of the Drummer's Collective guys.

Jeff

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
Hey Jeff!

I wish I had known you were going to be there. I would be great to meet you. I watched some of Chris Pennie sitting next to Kim and some of Shawn sitting next to Matty Amendola but I mostly watched from the wings. I also sepnt a lot of time talking to folks and I confess I missed parts of Shannon Forrest and the first five minutes of Adam Deitch. I was there the day before and early in the morning so I got to watch sound check and there was a lot of mixing and chatting at that time. Thanks to Modern Drummer I also stayed at the same place as the out of town guys and so spent a lot of time in the hotel bar on Friday and on Saturday after the event. Next time my friend!!

The event may not have been completely sold out but I could hardly find a spare seat and it was certainly packed!

What did you think of the individual performances?

Paul

supermac

Good to hear.

I've got all the MD Festival DVDs and I've learned so much from them.

My own favourite line-up was the 2006 presentation with a real diverse line-up of brilliant players like Steve Smith, Thomas Lang, Aaron Spears and Ronald Bruner Jnr.

Anyone know when the 2010 DVD is due out?

Bart Elliott

DW PRO DRUMMER
I assume it takes a bit of time, but Hudson already has clips on their site.

http://www.hudsonmusic.com/hudson/feature-content/md2010/

Jeff
It's easy to through clips up ... but editing and making it all into a DVD is what takes time.

There's typically a live feed which is mixed on the spot, where the director grabs various cameras shots as it happens. This is probably what was used. The same feed is often times used to show on the big screen projectors at the event.

I heard the show was not sold out. Is that true?
Yes, it was not sold out. In fact, they actually gave away tickets at the collective before the show. Saw posts on facebook from multiple people in the industry pushing the tix in the days before the show.

Lesson to learn, don't mess with a winning formula. It was always as sell out previously. Then they got cute and changed venues and dates and it just never worked. Now it was only ONE day and they couldn't sell it out. Not good.

This probably also speaks to just how less important MD is in the drumming world than it used to be than even a few short years ago.

jeffwj

Platinum Member
Lesson to learn, don't mess with a winning formula. It was always as sell out previously. Then they got cute and changed venues and dates and it just never worked. Now it was only ONE day and they couldn't sell it out. Not good.

This probably also speaks to just how less important MD is in the drumming world than it used to be than even a few short years ago.
I don't know about that. The festival was at Montclair for the first 15 years or so. It always sold out then. I think the economy is a main reason that it didn't sell out.

Jeff