Modern Drummer 2010 DVD - Hudson Music

Paul Quin

Pioneer Member
As I am sure you all know, the Modern Drummer Festival 2010 DVD has just been released by Hudson. I am always curious to find out if the DVD captures the essence of the festival itself. This year the festival was held at its original location, which is a more intimate setting than in previous years. As I have previously posted, I was lucky enough to atend the festival this year and I can honestly say that I enjoyed it as much as any drummer event I have ever attended. I am delighted to report that the DVD really captures the feel of the event; the smaller setting, coupled with a more fluid video style, gives a real feeling of intimacy. It provides the watcher with a real sense of the music and the playing of the featured performers.

This years festival, whether by design or accident, really focussed on the groove. There were some mind numbing chops on display (check out Benny and Chris Coleman), but this was much more an event about being a servant to the music. Stanton Moore, Shawn Pelton, Adam Deitch and Shannon Forrest all played with other musicians and both Chris Pennie and Benny Greb played along with tracks. This approach really helped show the unique contribution of these great musicians to the "song." As always, there is also a strong educational component and anyone who has a desire to play authentic swing music needs to go worship at the altar of Daniel Glass! This DVD also has great sound and the engineers at Hudson have done a great job with the mixing and mastering.

I will post a review of the DVD as soon as I get a minute, but I wanted to provide some preliminary thoughts.

I really LOVE this DVD. It is my favorite of the Modern Drummer DVDs. I would be delighted to hear the thoughts of those who have already seen it, and I will supplement with my thoughts as we go. If you have not seen it yet, go buy it - you can also buy it as a download!!!

Paul

720hours World Record

As I am sure you all know, the Modern Drummer Festival 2010 DVD has just been released by Hudson. ....I will post a review of the DVD as soon as I get a minute, but I wanted to provide some preliminary thoughts.

I really LOVE this DVD. It is my favorite of the Modern Drummer DVDs......
Paul
I am curious about the 2010 DVD, I will wait for your review, thanks for your work.

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
I will post a review of the DVD as soon as I get a minute, but I wanted to provide some preliminary thoughts.

Paul
I would love to hear your review as I value your opinion.

But why Shawn Pelton again....he's already done one and honestly I wasn't impressed at all.

Certainly there are more up-n-comers to give exposure to...

I'd probably consider it cause I'm a big Chris Coleman fan despite the suspect lineup.