Mini bop kit

Looking for a good quality bop kit. I've had my eye on the Brooklyn micro. It's nice and small. What else should I be looking at with similar sizes?

Jasta 11

Whats your price range? What type of music will you be mostly playing with it? I love micro kits but like most things they have their limitations.

Straight-ahead jazz. I need something to play quiet gigs at cafes. I already have a Breakbeats kit, but I want to something higher quality. Price range: $1500-$2500, I guess.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Looking for a good quality bop kit. I've had my eye on the Brooklyn micro. It's nice and small. What else should I be looking at with similar sizes?
Your title says 'Mini bop kit', but your post says "Looking for a good quality bop kit...."

Are you looking specifically for the 16" bass drum size of the Gretsch Micro,
or would you also look at the traditional 18" bop set bass drum size?
If so, your options open up dramatically.

IBitePrettyHard

I like the Brooklyn Micro Bop kit but it's a one-trick pony. It's kinda on the fringe of what's practical, if you know what I mean. Tiny and fun to play, but not great for anything other than jazz. I would get a quality 18, 12, 14 kit instead, it'd still work perfectly for low volume gigs, and also work for some louder music as well.

The Canopus Yaiba kits sound PHENOMENAL and they're at the lower end of your price range. I'm not sure if there's any notable differences between the Yaiba 1 and 2, but they both sound great, easily rivaling the high-end Sonor SQ2 and Gretsch USA Customs in terms of sound.

If you want Gretsch, I would get a Brooklyn bop kit, (not the Micro) new or used. They're every bit as good as the USA Customs imo.

Also consider the Gretsch Renown bop kits. I own a 20/10/12/14/16 and it's AMAZING, especially at higher tunings. They also rival the USA Customs in both sound AND quality in my opinion.....for 1/3 the price. The toms are perhaps slightly louder than the average toms on any given kit, but still fit extremely well in low volume situations. I play tons of unmiced gigs with an acoustic guitar and upright bass. They don't overpower the group at all.

(Keep in mind, Renowns come with 2-ply Emperor clears, so all the online demos will have Emperors as well.....meaning you won't hear that true jazzy bop sound until you swap them to Ambassador coated)

Your title says 'Mini bop kit', but your post says "Looking for a good quality bop kit...."

Are you looking specifically for the 16" bass drum size of the Gretsch Micro,
or would you also look at the traditional 18" bop set bass drum size?
If so, your options open up dramatically.
Looking for 16 bass drum. The Canopus club looks interesting. I've never played anything from them.

markdrumz

I like the Brooklyn Micro Bop kit but it's a one-trick pony. It's kinda on the fringe of what's practical, if you know what I mean. Tiny and fun to play, but not great for anything other than jazz. I would get a quality 18, 12, 14 kit instead, it'd still work perfectly for low volume gigs, and also work for some louder music as well.

The Canopus Yaiba kits sound PHENOMENAL and they're at the lower end of your price range. I'm not sure if there's any notable differences between the Yaiba 1 and 2, but they both sound great, easily rivaling the high-end Sonor SQ2 and Gretsch USA Customs in terms of sound.

If you want Gretsch, I would get a Brooklyn bop kit, (not the Micro) new or used. They're every bit as good as the USA Customs imo.

Also consider the Gretsch Renown bop kits. I own a 20/10/12/14/16 and it's AMAZING, especially at higher tunings. They also rival the USA Customs in both sound AND quality in my opinion.....for 1/3 the price. The toms are perhaps slightly louder than the average toms on any given kit, but still fit extremely well in low volume situations. I play tons of unmiced gigs with an acoustic guitar and upright bass. They don't overpower the group at all.

(Keep in mind, Renowns come with 2-ply Emperor clears, so all the online demos will have Emperors as well.....meaning you won't hear that true jazzy bop sound until you swap them to Ambassador coated)
Ditto on the comments about the Canopus Yaiba series. I have a Yaiba bop kit and am really impressed with it. Prices have risen on them recently, but they come up used pretty regularly and Canopus drums usually sell at a lower resale value than brands with wider name recognition.

EhhSoCheap

Yamaha Hip Gig kits may be an option. They’re expensive, so I assume they’re quality, but have also been discontinued for some time. Someone with more knowledge on them should chime in.