Mind Blanks

Hi i guess i'm just looking for some opionions on a problem i'm having
I play in a metal band so for the most part fairly fast and noisy we've been together for about 9 years playing lots of shows and do well in our home state we rehearse at least weekly and i practice at home every day the problem i'm having is,
Songs weve played for 8+ years i'm now randomly forgetting parts of and it's normally happening onstage!!!
We often have terrible onstage sound and once i loose my spot i can't hear anything and either bluff my way throught till i pick out something familiar or just basically have to stop the song which is a big no no in my book....
Granted i've made a lot of lifestyle changes in the last 2-3 months such as no more drinkin ( not that i did that much any way) it was more the other things i had trouble with :/ ,quit smoking and have joined a gym and am turning my life around, which is great!
But now i'm having this problem of forgetting bits of songs i know that i know!!!
Anyway any thoughts anyone has are more than welcome mabey i just needed to vent
Thanks in advance

Bertram

Silver Member
On stage, maybe you can arrange having a little amplifier or something pointing at you, from the side, with guiatr play, and singing. If that can't be arranged, then try to listen to the songs (if it's cover songs) on a mp3-player or so. If it's not cover songs.
If it is not cover songs! - then i'd either learn them god damn well from home. Or bring some paper or a laptop you can look at when you get confused. Or just follow some paper with lyrics, and write what to play there. If you know how to read and write drum charts, notes, sheets, whatever it is called, my english ain't that well.
But that's what I can say. Good luck!

MattA

Not so much advice as it is information/explanation. Apparently the way the human mind uses memory recall is pretty strongly linked to the state it is in when it aquired that knowledge in the first place. So if you have recently given up drinking/any other substances that you used while learning and memorising these songs, this can definitely have an effect on your subsequent memory recall. For example, if you study for an exam while drinking coffee, it is advised that when it comes to taking the exam you also drink coffee as this lets your mind attain the same state it was in while absorbing and storing the exam material. I can only speculate that as subtle or as great as your recent change have been, it may have been enough to affect you recall when playing. As how to overcome this, I would only offer the advice that you may need to try and go back to basics with these songs again in the same state you intend to play them in.

Not so much advice as it is information/explanation. Apparently the way the human mind uses memory recall is pretty strongly linked to the state it is in when it aquired that knowledge in the first place. So if you have recently given up drinking/any other substances that you used while learning and memorising these songs, this can definitely have an effect on your subsequent memory recall. For example, if you study for an exam while drinking coffee, it is advised that when it comes to taking the exam you also drink coffee as this lets your mind attain the same state it was in while absorbing and storing the exam material. I can only speculate that as subtle or as great as your recent change have been, it may have been enough to affect you recall when playing. As how to overcome this, I would only offer the advice that you may need to try and go back to basics with these songs again in the same state you intend to play them in.
AH indeed thank you sir i was having these thoughts myself mabey practicing them againg by myself like i'm learning them for the first time might help the recall thanks heaps for your help