Michael Giles -- WIth Single Bass Drum

P

plangentmusic

First King Crimson Drummer

King Crimson's first drummer. VERY unique player.

I tried to capture his jagged style as well as the double bass stuff -- but played with a single bass drum. .

The "Tympani" is mallets on a floor tom with all the reverb I could muster. : ) This one was a LOT of work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZvg-_NprXU

Last edited:
P

plangentmusic

Hmm, no Crimson fans? Or did it suck that bad? lol

I guess a lot of people don't go back that far.

opentune

Platinum Member
yep for sure i caught it. i just did not have much to say lol.
now...really, give 21st century schizoid man a try next! (actually gov't mule do a neat live version of that too)
but yes, i bet many on here do not recognize the mike giles ....(bruford on the other hand)

P

plangentmusic

yep for sure i caught it. i just did not have much to say lol.
now...really, give 21st century schizoid man a try next! (actually gov't mule do a neat live version of that too)
but yes, i bet many on here do not recognize the mike giles ....(bruford on the other hand)
I have played Schizoid man many times on drums but playing the guitar, bass, keys and horn parts to that one is a little too daunting! I don't think anyone could!

P

plangentmusic

Also -- I know it's subtle, but those bass drum 16th's in the verse are pretty damn cool. : )

P

plangentmusic

what kit you using on your vid of epitaph? whats the bass drum setup for recording?

I use a Gretch kit -- one mounted tom and two floors, and a supra phonic snare. The kick is an 18" with no muffling except for a towel laid on the bottom so it just touched both heads, That adds punch without losing the tone. I also have tiny port in the front head both to sharpen the sound and to put a mic into the shell.