Metalcore drum help.

LilCheezay

Okay, I'm looking at purchasing a drum set, that will be used mainly for metalcore (TDWP, BMTH, Blessthefall, Miss May I, etc.) and some alternative (Green Day, Foo Fighters, etc.). I have two options:
ddrum Punx Diablo http://www.zzounds.com/item--DEPDIA2
or
Pearl Forum FZ 4 Piece http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&langId=-1&productId=900260219&cid=gbase I'm leaning towards Pearl, but what is everyone's opinion on the matter?
Thanks for the help, all who reply.

Music is Awesome

1) Did you just put BMTH and Blessthefall in the same catagory? jk.

2) Is this a drum set that you plan to stick with for a while or one to get your feet wet with?

stabmasterarson

I've heard enough horror stories about DDrum kits to stay far away personally. Go with a well established brand imo, they all make good drums. Try and get something that's made with birch or maple as the main component in a starter kit, not pressboard or whatever crap they use nowadays

Fishbones

Silver Member
hmm... metalcore...
i'd go with some good old fashioned gretsch new classics. an 18/12/14 setup should serve you well.

no but seriously id go for the pearls. its a reputable brand... and those ddrums are hideous

Though I don't really like Ddrum, I've heard some good things about their kits in the price range from 700$ ish - 1500$, like dominion maple or dios. Though I don't really like the kits u listed. Have u tried buying it used?? The price is usually 1/2 or more lowered if ur buying used kits. If for some reasons u can't, maybe because u don't live in USA or something, then I'd go with Pearl Forum. Those 2 kits are fairly similar in quality, Ddrum might be a little more well-made, but Pearl's also a more reliable brand. I've heard some goods and bad comments on both of those kits. I believe the Ddrum is somewhat better for metal, due to the drum sizes, but Pearl Forum is 200$ cheaper, which gives u some cash to buy some sabian or paiste cymbal or cymbals. Besides, u probably won't notice the difference. Or if you like, I've heard lots of good comments about the Custom Classic kits. They sound decent, birch will most likely sound A LOT better than basswood or poplar. It's very well made for the price, and I feel like it should be 200-300$ higher. Heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Classic-Birch-5-Piece-Drum-Set-w-Hardware-SSB-/370214179515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56327c12bb

LilCheezay

1) Did you just put BMTH and Blessthefall in the same catagory? jk.2) Is this a drum set that you plan to stick with for a while or one to get your feet wet with?
Haha. I was just listing our favorite bands in one big group, nothing horribly specfic. And I'm going to be sticking with it for a while, until we start getting bigger, because I just need a new drumset, my Rogers are god-awful.
And I'm also looking at some Gretsch Club Mods, if anyone can give some sort of review on it?

Music is Awesome

Haha. I was just listing our favorite bands in one big group, nothing horribly specfic.
It's all good, just messing with you.

On the topic of drums I'd probably take a step up if you're going to buy new (ex. Pearl Vision series instead forum series).

You could always try a buy used like nevermoreGC which would get you a much better set than you would normally get.

The Catalinas in general are really good for the money so if you can't find anything used you would like and can afford I'd go with the Catalinas.

Good Luck.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
You can do much better buying an upgrade used kit. Neither of the ones you listed are going to last or make you happy. Search your local Craigslist or eBay for a decent used set.

CptHowdy

Just thought i would put my opinion in since your playing close to the same genre as me and asked about the gretsch. I have a catalina maple and id choose nothing better to play on, im a deathcore/deathmetal drummer and ive had this kit for a while, way better than my pdp and my ludwig, neither of those fit the sound i wanted. My gretsch has a lot of attack and sounds wonderful, although it will over power your guitarist if he isn't turned up loud enough but it is well worth it. I personally dont like ddrum or pearl. But really, its your money, spend it how you want.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Dude, if you get a solid Pearl, you get an amazingly solid drum set. Even their lowest-end stuff is sturdy.

If you can get a mid- or mid-high kit, even better.

Look into the Vision line.