Medical condition's that hinder your progress

J

JohnoWorld

Good night, you guys have got some real burdens and I'm sorry to hear it. I hope playing and learning about the drums continues be a source of joy for all of y'all.

I consider myself lucky that my only condition is that I'm uncoordinated and not very smart!
I still play every night when I get home from work, some to think of it........

*gets coat

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
There is lots and lots of research how we lose cognitive abilities, senses, reflexes, muscle mass, etc with age, however I've yet seen it affect many musicians. My mom is 91 and totally deaf but plays the piano to perfection. All the great drummers stayed great even at late age. Most nobel laureates receive their accolades late in life. Seems age really isn't as bad as the evidence would support. Life always seems to throw you minor or major inconveniences at any age-I go with the flow. Like breaking my right had in my late twenties was a hassle but it turned out to be great as it force me to be somewhat ambidextrous-I still use my left hand for certain things.

Tyrnox

Pioneer Member
Part of the problem with an injury is that you are mentally detoured as well. If you get by the pain, you are still thinking about it and that hurts your concentration.
This. It doesn't take much to "get you out of your zone" when it comes to practice and focus.

I've been stuck almost the past 6 months with Sciatic nerve problems ( intense lower back pain ). I play about 5 days a week 3h/a day and I never used to stretch... Never thought it would be a problem, until this started happening. Had to see a doctor that essentially told me, if I didn't start stretching in the mornings, before and after practice, that not only was it going to get worse, but that come 40, I may not even be able to play at all.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
I found out today that I have a degenerative rotator cuff tear - had an x-ray on Monday morning and got phoned today. Not great news really - especially not at 28. Never mind! I'm in good hands, medically speaking.

MoreBeer

Silver Member
I have fairly severe psoriatic arthritis and need to self-administer Humira injections several times monthly to control it. Although this really doesn't affect my drum playing that much but doesn't exactly help it. The real problem is both my rotator cuffs are partially torn and can be very painful, in addition to being affected by the arthritis.

Ironically, taking two Advil's helps more so than Vicodin but raises my blood pressure. However, a Vicodin along with Xanax is the ticket for pain-free drumming but my daughter advised me against it. Not that it'll kill me, but could lead to a dependency on the combination. So I take her advice. She has the degree....I don't.

fac

I've been stuck almost the past 6 months with Sciatic nerve problems ( intense lower back pain ). I play about 5 days a week 3h/a day and I never used to stretch... Never thought it would be a problem, until this started happening. Had to see a doctor that essentially told me, if I didn't start stretching in the mornings, before and after practice, that not only was it going to get worse, but that come 40, I may not even be able to play at all.
If you wear your wallet or phone in your back pocket, stop it right now and start wearing them in your front pockets. My back pains stopped shortly after I realised they were being caused by my wallet.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Dang Larry that is a freaky test. I used headphones to test each ear-my left is worse. I could 1000, 2000, then flat and nothing, then I could feel 5000, hear 6000, then flat and nothing till I around 8000 I could feel it and then I could hear 9000 then flat and couldn't hear squat. My good ear I could hear up to 5000 easily then it went flat at 6k and I couldn't hear 6000, but could barely hear 7000 and hear 8000 then I couldn't hear 9000 or anything above. Weird my "good ear" is as bad as my bad in high ranges, but my bad ear is like bimodal-I wonder how much I feel some of it too. I had it turned up all the way too so it's amazing how select the frequencies are. Fact it was freaking my wife out she was wondering WTH that high frequency sound was hee, hee, hee.

J

JohnoWorld

This. It doesn't take much to "get you out of your zone" when it comes to practice and focus.

That is a little bit of a doc scare story to be fair.

I have similar issues. Yes you need to stretch, but not 3 times a day. Once a day is sufficient as long as you're getting the right treatment.

Get yourself down to an osteopath once a month. I go every 6 months to re-align and get myself cracked back into shape, I highly recommend it over seeing a medical doctor.

My sister who is an acupuncturist, also helps by elbowing my backside. Yes it's true. I lie on the floor face down, and she applies pressure on alternate buttocks with her elbow.

It hurts like hell but my god it works. It releases the flow of the sciatic nerve, helps you legs, hips and lower back.

I am 40 and have had these problems for years, I can't actually play more than 45 minutes without being in really bad pain. Recently i have just raised all my drums to make me use the bounce more

brady

Platinum Member
I fractured my right wrist a few years ago. Ever since then, I have been unable to play using German/American grip without getting pain in my wrist and forearm. Fortunately, French grip causes no issues; I play French grip about 90% of the time.

I feel very fortunate that I had a fairly easy transition to my work-around., especially after hearing some of the cases on here.

However, I have noticed that we drummers are a resilient breed. We are creative in finding ways to make our bodies adapt to playing; even if it's something as simple as changing hand or foot technique to re-learning how to play the drums without your left arm. (Rick Allen)

So keep doing those stretches and warm-ups. Take care of your bodies, everyone. With the current technology, we only get one.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Anybody with back pain....have you tried inversion tables?

I find them very restorative. My body appreciates it when I invert it. It's harder than you think to hang completely upside down from your ankles, for even a few minutes. It's uncomfortable and my head gets clogged up. But it's oh so worth it. It's my gravity compression antidote. I highly recommend it, especially for people who have to physically work hard with their bodies to make a living. But everyone can benefit. A hot tub session followed by some inversion...works to bring quick relief after a hard day working where I feel 2 inches shorter than when I woke up.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Anybody with back pain....have you tried inversion tables?

I find them very restorative. My body appreciates it when I invert it. It's harder than you think to hang completely upside down from your ankles, for even a few minutes. It's uncomfortable and my head gets clogged up. But it's oh so worth it. It's my gravity compression antidote. I highly recommend it, especially for people who have to physically work hard with their bodies to make a living. But everyone can benefit. A hot tub session followed by some inversion...works to bring quick relief after a hard day working where I feel 2 inches shorter than when I woke up.
So far I've lost about 40 lbs since August.

This has helped more than anything. :)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
So far I've lost about 40 lbs since August.

This has helped more than anything. :)
So true. Being the right weight for your frame really makes life physically easier. I lost 25 lbs since December without even trying. I did get sick twice for 2 days each and I really lost a lot of weight then, I could not keep anything down. But my appetite/food intake is definitely decreasing, because the weight is staying off, yay.

Nutrition and health are much more important to me ever since I passed age 40 or so. When I was young, I could eat the crappiest of food without consequence. I didn't know anything about nutrition then, it didn't affect me as far as I knew. Substandard diet never really affected me until I passed 40.

Tyrnox

Pioneer Member
That is a little bit of a doc scare story to be fair.

I have similar issues. Yes you need to stretch, but not 3 times a day. Once a day is sufficient as long as you're getting the right treatment.

Get yourself down to an osteopath once a month. I go every 6 months to re-align and get myself cracked back into shape, I highly recommend it over seeing a medical doctor.

My sister who is an acupuncturist, also helps by elbowing my backside. Yes it's true. I lie on the floor face down, and she applies pressure on alternate buttocks with her elbow.

It hurts like hell but my god it works. It releases the flow of the sciatic nerve, helps you legs, hips and lower back.

I am 40 and have had these problems for years, I can't actually play more than 45 minutes without being in really bad pain. Recently i have just raised all my drums to make me use the bounce more

You are right, I actually did see an osteopath ( I couldn't remember the name while posting ). I had tried a chiropractor but it didn't have the same effect ( although the back cracking is very satisfying indeed ).

Being able to only play 45 minutes at a time is a scary thought. Do you believe you will be able to get back into shape eventually to play more ? Or is it degenerative?