ME PLAYING 2

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Atlanta, what do YOU think of your videos?
You can only compare yourself to yourself.

We could turn you into our own little Drummerworld project where we ALL teach you.
Are you game?

I for one would like to hear you play something in time next time, what do you think?

Biscuit

How do I sound for someone who has been playing for only a year?
Like someone that has been playing for a year. I know because i sound about as bad as you do and i've been playing for a year and a half. Everybody here was terrible at some point but with practice they all became better drummers and you and i will to.

Would i post any videos of my playing? HELL NO!!! I know i sound terrible at this point in my drumming. I certainly don't need anyone else to tell me i'm terrible when i already know that i am.

Stay with it and keep practicing, you will only get better. I can't tell you how many times my sticks have been tossed across my drum room out of frustration. I'm determind to get better and that's why i come back for more everyday.

Good luck to ya!!

jon e rotten

Ah, the never ending dance between being encouraging and saying it like it is.

The lad wants to know how good he is. Atlanta Rules, that in itself is a relative question.

I was at a bar with my friend the other day and he asked me " Hows your wife? "

I said " Compared to what? "

Can I borrow that?

This reminds me of learning to play golf. In the beginning everyone says they'll be happy just to be able to hit the ball, but when they can hit the ball, they'll be happy when they can 'just get it around the green' and so on and so on. People who are happy with their playing never get better. (that's overstated, but there's a point there somewhere).

aydee

Platinum Member

Ah, the never ending dance between being encouraging and saying it like it is.

The lad wants to know how good he is. Atlanta Rules, that in itself is a relative question.

I was at a bar with my friend the other day and he asked me " Hows your wife? "

I said " Compared to what? "

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Not trying to offend anyone, but since i have been also playing for less than a year and believe i sound much smoother than atlanta rules, does that mean i have better self-teaching skills or true natural talent?
Well, you think you sound better ;)! Do you?

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
That's it, isn't it Bob? The better you get the more fine tuned you are to hearing the imperfections in your own playing.

Learning is as much developing ability as it is fine tuning that ability. It may be heard to understand that at 15. My HS music teacher would always say, "There is no place for mediocrity." Let's face it, who wants to aspire towards that goal.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The fact that I still suck after 40 years of playing is the only thing that keeps me playing!
The day that I don't suck is the day that I will quit while I am ahead!

Keep on playing and don't worry if you suck so much.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
So does it sound like I suck?
Nope....it sounds like you need to take heed of the advice offered to you across two threads.

Listen to the suggestions and try to apply them to your own playing. You need more time practising your groove and your timing and less time mindlessly racing single strokes around the kit......and less time worrying about whether you suck. Just keep playing, follow the advice, learn from it and get better mate.

Migaluch

Not trying to offend anyone, but since i have been also playing for less than a year and believe i sound much smoother than atlanta rules, does that mean i have better self-teaching skills or true natural talent? Well, i am also older (i think?) so that may be the case as well.

Anyways, that doesn't matter. I applaud the fact that this vid at least is better than the last, but still.

My advice for self-lessons until you can get a REAL teacher is to go to freedrumlessons.com and drumlessons.com, botha are GREAT sites and that is where i have learned to play so far. Also, just search the internet for lessons, its chock full of good (and bad, *expert village* cough!) lessons to really show you how to play. Finally, find a metronome and listen to as much music as you can to really get a feeling for beats and rhythms.

Its good that you are looking for help here for there is a plethora of fantastic people on this forum! Ask any question you want about drumming in a new thread. Also check out the GREAT LINKS FOR DRUMMERS thread, some good stufs there too!

Late Bloomer

I reckon you sound like someone who has been playing only a year without lessons. I would suggest you find a good teacher, and you never know, if you work hard, you may become an excellent drummer one day.

Ok can just ask one more question and i'll stop with the videos ok?

How do I sound for someone who has been playing for only a year?

MikeM

Platinum Member
I would just have to quibble a little bit over that assertion that just banging away on your kit isn't any good - I still practice that way (after 30 years). I try to execute every little thought that comes into my head and follow any interesting leads. I could fill 1000 dumpsters with my bad ideas, but I have a few filing cabinets filled with good ones.

Since everything else has already been said, I'd just like to point out, atlanta rules, that I'm typing this from 30,000 feet on my way to Atlanta. How's that for modern technology? Oh, and since I'll just be connecting to another flight, I'll only be able to give you a review of the Atlanta airport (and whether or not it rules). I hope there's some good food around there somewhere, I'm starving.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Atlanta, you can check my post in your first thread, there's nothing more to me in this second clip. Other than that.....give it some time, give it plenty of time. And I second Vinniewannabe, you don't need to post a video again for some time. It's obvious (again) that there are some cool ideas and creativity in you, but you've got a long way to go, and the world doesn't need to see and hear too much of those practice sessions of yours at this stage.

Deltadrummer

Platinum Member
There is a Your Playing section under Your Place that is meant for people to post their playing. hence the name. If you are going to continue to post ME playing vids, please do not use the main page. Use the My Playing area.

Last edited: