MB's Random Question Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

calan

Silver Member
Personally I kind of like the mirror-image effect in the grain match up there.

Seems intentional to me. If it were me, I'd put a thin strip of black or chrome there to really enhance the effect.

I've seen "artisan" tables and wood furniture made with this theme as a main feature... I do see an appeal in the nature-assisted artistic expression kind of way.
Then put it right on top dead center to make it completely symmetrical.

M

MasterBlaster

I'd be spitting nails if I ordered it and it showed up looking like that.

M

MasterBlaster

Why, on a 1 up 1 down kit, is the mounted tom always in front of the snare and not the FT? I mean, if it was 2 Up - that 2nd tom would be in that position anyway - so it must be just fine having a tom there.

To my way of thinking the MT should be in front of the FT, like the drummer in my garage band has it set up.

If ya'll say it's so the ride cymbal can be on the right, why can't it be on the left instead?

Attachments

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
By having the ride on the right, it opens up the body to make the right and left hands equidistant to all parts.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Personally I kind of like the mirror-image effect in the grain match up there.

Seems intentional to me. If it were me, I'd put a thin strip of black or chrome there to really enhance the effect.

I've seen "artisan" tables and wood furniture made with this theme as a main feature... I do see an appeal in the nature-assisted artistic expression kind of way.
A lot of the woodworking I do shows lumber resawn to get the mirror image rather than use two different cuts of wood. They use a lot of live edge lumber and cut it vertically to keep the live edge on both sides with the grain match in the center.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Why, on a 1 up 1 down kit, is the mounted tom always in front of the snare and not the FT? I mean, if it was 2 Up - that 2nd tom would be in that position anyway - so it must be just fine having a tom there.

To my way of thinking the MT should be in front of the FT, like the drummer in my garage band has it set up.

If ya'll say it's so the ride cymbal can be on the right, why can't it be on the left instead?
Anyone can place anything in any place they want. There's no shortage of people doing hings different than the typical 5-piece in an ad setup.

Plenty people have a ride on the left. All the open handed players do. Some have both, one on each side. I don't really need it, but on my practie kit I usually have it there to work open handed and help my left hand French grip.

My guess is that the guy in your pic doesn't do a lot of jazz paying with comping on his rack tom.

There is no right way. There the way that works for you and how you play.

The whole idea of a 4-piece and jazz is to get things close comfortable. You drag the ride close to a flat and comfortable position because that's the main instrument in that situation. With some work you can get it to a good place on a bigger kit, but not quite as comfy and being constantly on the ride you will have hold your arm up and put a lot of strain on your shoulder. Drsg it in and it's as comfy as playing on the snare.

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
Then put it right on top dead center to make it completely symmetrical.
I guess you're more OCD about it than I. I dig it. Wood grain isn't something that's symmetrical in the first place and as mentioned, I like the odd, reverse mirror effect.

M

MasterBlaster

My guess is that the guy in your pic doesn't do a lot of jazz paying with comping on his rack tom.
Well, we were like 15 in the early 70's. No jazz, but a lot of Black Sabbath and Led Zepplin.

Kinda close!!!

M

MasterBlaster

That's the bass player, twin brother of the drummer - I'm the photographer. He took the next pic with me in it but it's disappeared over the years. Just my luck...

Here's a pic - the two twin brothers are on the bottom, both guitar players are there and I'm wearing the suit... about 15 years later.

The middle guy in the back (RIP Marty!) was a letter carrier who was shot to death on his route - a great guitar player.

Attachments

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Can I provide a random answer?

In case anyone was wondering, like me, what whale oil beef hooked meant...

Say it fast. It sounds like a familiar swear expression. With an Irish accent.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Can I provide a random answer?

In case anyone was wondering, like me, what whale oil beef hooked meant...

Say it fast. It sounds like a familiar swear expression. With an Irish accent.
Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Took me a minute, didnt want to ask but was super curious! Nice pull Larry!

Status
Not open for further replies.