Matt Smith, Buddy Rich and Slap Stik

donv

Silver Member
Matt,

I've only seen it once before. May, 1978, Buddy Rich at the Ford Fairlane Hyatt Regency in Dearborn, Michigan. I can't even guess how many times I've played with it since trying, with no success I add, to figure how you do it. Buddy's visual effect was more dramatic then yours but then again you're 14 and he was about 74? I can only imagine where you're going to take it if you choose to. Anyway, Buddy's right hand looked as still as still could be. The stick looked solid by the blur of his speed. The kicker though was the stick was traveling from about noon to 1:00 all the way down to between 5 and 6:00. Bear in mind Buddy's hi-hats were only an inch or two above his snare. Now get this, while he's doing this he's basically chewing out a trombone player in front of everybody because the guy couldn't find his music. I've always wondered if it was part of the show or not? I hope it was!

So Matt, at the risk of maybe being the only person here that doesn't know what's going on and becoming the brunt of all the jokes for a while, How in the heck do you do it?

BTW, I suspect your future is going to be whatever you choose it to be, and you are more then welcome to sit at my table and discuss Bonham, or whoever anytime you like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SxKtdJMIKQ&feature=channel

Last edited: