martial arts and drumming

drummingman

Gold Member
I've only been drumming seriously a couple years but before that I was playing bass in death metal bands while actively training and competing in muay thai kickboxing , brazilian jiu jitsu and mixed martial arts for 10 years. I can say that those arts got me in good shape and I can fight really well, but they don't mesh with drumming in my opinion, especially mma and kickboxing, it's too hard on your hands constantly throwing punches.

Now I'm in a band and stopped all that training even though I love it, because it robs my forearms and calves of stamina and drumming is more important to me now. I am too old to make a living as a fighter, and taking a beating for no$ is not as fun as thrashin the kit!
i used to do muay thai as well about 10 years ago. the style that im hoping to start is karate. here is a link to the school if you wanna check it out. http://www.sanyamabushi-goju.com/index7.htm

stabmasterarson

I got a green belt 2 stripes in Goju karate when I was a kid. It's a softer style of karate more like kung-fu, a lot of cat stance and stuff like that if I recall.

B

Big_Philly

I once did Judo, and Jiu Jitsu after that, but never really excelled. I was quite young at the time, not even drumming yet when I was doing judo, so I never really found the connection.
I can tell you that it's really no fun to use a martial art in real life. Had to do it once in self-defence, I used a basic defensive attack move from jiu-jitsu when someone I had an argument with tried to punch me. It worked wonderfully, but it's still not fun.

Boomka

Platinum Member
I have a theory that all you need to know about drumming is in Karate Kid...

Now, show me Paint The Fence...

ploof

I've been practicing T'ai Chi and Kung Fu for a few years now. I've been a drummer for five or six, and can say that at least for me, practicing martial arts has changed my whole approach to drumming and accelerated my improvement. A big part of studying the martial arts is learning the discipline required to reach for your potential. It's the same with drumming, I think. The obvious benefits are physical: posture has improved tremendously, using muscles and building speed without tensing up, strangling the breath and impeding development is possible. What you learn in the study of any martial art can be carried through life and applied to any kinesthetic activity.

All the existential, philosophical stuff you glean from your practice might help your drumming too, I believe it has mine. If nothing else, I have learned the discipline necessary to sit down and practice, practice, practice.

grannydrums

I have recently started tai chi, not the martial art that the original poster had in mind, but it has certainly helped my drumming. i try to encorperate the breathing in my playing. and when i sit down on the kti i try to get into a relaxed state like the first tai chi position but sitting down. I think the tai chi helps me be more aware of what my body is doing, and so help me be more aware of how i am drumming

Funky Crêpe

Silver Member
type up chi energy.....i have been doing it for a while, it may not help your drumming, but i do it all the time before i play. It does help ground you and stuff like that

W

wy yung

I'm a very highly ranked martial artist, as I am sure I've mentioned here before. Sadly now unable to train. But if the OP has any questions regarding styles or training methods, he can PM me and I will help all I can.

con struct

Platinum Member
I have never in my life been the least bit athletic. I started playing the drums when I was twelve years old and that's about it as far as physical/athletic sort of activity is concerned.
Playing the drums is playing the drums. It's just about being a drummer and playing the drums. It has nothing to do with anything except playing the drums, as far as I'm concerned anyway.
I don't mean to put down the idea, but I fail to see how kung fu or whatever has anything remotely to do with playing the drums.

B

Big_Philly

I recently picked up boxing (though some won't consider this to be a martial art), and can see a whole lot of similarities between this and drumming. Though you don't need as much stamina for drumming as for boxing... But boxing is -like any martial art- about fluent, powerful movements that you're best off practising slowly when you're just starting. Like a moeller whip involves your whole arm and shoulder, a good punch involves your whole body... twisting your torso, then your shoulder and then the rest of your arm to get a sort of whipping motion.

D

DamoSyzygy

I don't mean to put down the idea, but I fail to see how kung fu or whatever has anything remotely to do with playing the drums.
OF COURSE you cant see how, By your own admission youve never been interested or pursued martial arts, so until you do how can you suggest the two cannot be related?

mrchattr

Gold Member
I have never in my life been the least bit athletic. I started playing the drums when I was twelve years old and that's about it as far as physical/athletic sort of activity is concerned.
Playing the drums is playing the drums. It's just about being a drummer and playing the drums. It has nothing to do with anything except playing the drums, as far as I'm concerned anyway.
There are many things outside of drumming that can make you a better drumming, including martial arts, running or jogging, racquetball, etc.

grannydrums

Every teacher I have had have shouted relax--or breath to me.

Tai chi(and i bet other more violent martial arts) teach you how to control your breathing and use it help with movements and how to relax, I have only been learning tai chi for three terms and already my posture and balance has improved so I notice I sit at the kit better and I use the controlled breathing and relaxation techniques whilst I am drumming. for me it has helped a lot.

I once went to a kick boxing trainer to ask how he develops speed and endurance in his pupils. he was a little bemused that he was being asked to help a drummer, but once he got his head round it he gave me some good advice about fast twitch muscles and how to develop them.

I do his exercises on the drum kit most days and it is getting me faster.

Drumming is drumming -yes but there are lots of things around that can make us better when sitting at the kit