Marching snare as a rack tom?

mountainhomie

Hey, I have an old Ludwig LFF-024-DMS free floating marching snare that I've been wanting to convert into an interesting sounding rack tom. After shedding all the snare parts to lose some weight, I threw a reso on it and a coated Remo Weatherking for batter. After a few minutes of tuning, I realized it just wasn't going to give me a good tom sound, it sounds dead and flappy no matter how it's tuned. So, aside from the obvious of it being a marching snare and not a rack tom, what could be causing this issue and what would be some quick solutions? Would it likely just be the free floating mechanism for the head not allowing a solid resonance or maybe the bearing edge? Thanks guys!

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
It's only a 4-ply drum, but how thick are the plies? Seems to me like it would be a nice thick drum meant only for tight sound and projection and not necessarily resonance.

My first guess for your question would be overall shell construction and composition for the lack of resonance.

STXBob

Gold Member
You're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It's never going to sound like a drumset tom because it's a corps-style high-tension snare.

konaboy

Pioneer Member
You're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. It's never going to sound like a drumset tom because it's a corps-style high-tension snare.

^^totally agree, I just don't see it giving a good drumset sound. It's designed to be cranked tight and project not to be warm and resonant.

calan

Silver Member
I've been using a 14x7 side snare (specifically a Tama Backbeat), but I head and tune it as a tom. With snares on, it's kind of an old school field snare type sound, really low, really fat. Not a lot of snare articulation due to the loose tom reso as opposed to a tight snare reso, but that's absolutely fine, because I have higher pitched brass snare between my knees that contrasts it well.

So in my experience, the concept can work, but you need an appropriate drum for the job.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
You could probably tune it up like a repinique, and play lots of melodic rim shots. That's what I would do. You could also adjust the snares to sound more or less like a caixa. I know I've seen repiniques on stands next to timbales. Also you can usually get a decent cascara out of them, since the entire shell is designed to vibrate. Though, I would put it on snare stand instead, because the rack will kill the shell resonance.

Ollie Bonugli

Mike Mangini has a secondary snare that he also uses a rack tom (when he disengages the snares) so as Calan said: it is possible, you I just have to have the right drum

Last edited: