Marching Band

Adam Bourque

So yea, im in winterdrumline and did not do marching band in fall. everyone can march but me, and i suck at it. I doubt I will do drumline in fall, just because i rather be behind a kit. Is it really that good to stay in Drumline?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
A drum line helps you to build timing and consistency.
You have to march in time and in step with others while you play in sync with others.
It is also good for your stamina. It helps you with rudiments.
Treat it as exercise and kit practice combined.

The fact that you say that you suck at is more reason why you should do it!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I think the general idea is that it can only help you. But, if there's something else that you'd rather be doing, that avenue also exists. I believe long ago at North Texas State they encouraged all their drummers to march in the band because it was a good experience to work on your rudimental chops, which is always a good idea. The choice is yours, though. There's alot of stuff to learn out there and there's more than one way to get good at rudiments. After having done the whole marching band scene throughout high school, and some DCI drum corps stuff, by the time I was 21 it kinda' burned me out and I kind of raged against it for a long time.

But the environment is definitely designed for you to learn, and being in a slightly competitive mode with your fellow drummer friends is a sure guarantee you will learn.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
To this day I still find myself sometimes marching behind the kit on the pedals to keep my timing and groove even.
I haven't been in a Drum Corps since 1974!

PreppieNerd

Silver Member
Go for it. So you can't march now. You will be able to after a while.

It can only help. I marched for two years in high school, I enjoyed it, and it really boosted my chops to a place they wouldn't be otherwise.

The whole marching band environment is something different that is good to experience, just to add color to your style.

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
The most amazing feeling I've felt, musically, is when I nailed my line's drumbreak for the first time. It was even better when I got it right a Northern States, in front of hundreds of people.

Normally, people in marching band aren't considered cool. In popular culture, they're not exactly the most popular or suave or fashionable people, which is an incorrect stereotype. But when you're in drumline, you're a badass, unless you're playing bass. :p

In indoor drumline, you don't exactly march, but there's a sort of choreography that goes into the show, so don't worry about being able to march unless you do eventually want to join marching band.

Being in drumline is a great chop-builder, and it definitely broadens your horizons. I suggest sticking through Winter Drumline at the very least.

Don't forget that it makes you a badass.

Travis22

Agreed, you need to stay in it. You should even pick it up in the fall as a secondary thing to the kit. The biggest jump I made in improvement on the kit was because of marching band and drum corps. Like mentioned, you learn all sorts of useful things. Rudiments, time sigs, how to play within a group...all kinds of things. The funny part is when you're doing it you don't see the point or how it helps. But come the end of the season and you sit back behind your kit, it'll all click. The feet will have more independence, your hands will create faster and cleaner strokes, and you'll be able to hear things within the music you didn't hear before.

There's really no down side to it. But don't get a bad attitude and only do it because you feel like you have to. You need to realize the good that comes from things like this. If you build up a hate or irritation towards things you don't understand or know, it will only keep you from furthering your ability. You need to at least give it an honest try and chance. In the end the experience and knowlegde will outweigh the frustration you are having at the moment. That I'm positive of.

As someone who marched all through middle and high school and now that I am in college and have a job as a percussion director and arranger in a marching band. I highly reccomend drumline to any serious drummer/percussionist. Like the other members have told you...it builds timing and consistency. It also is a major chop builder. Most of the licks that I use on the kit I've adapted from things I've learned while being a member on my schools line. Also...think about it...you're playing pretty much every day for extended periods of time when you're a member of a drumline....it builds endurance and you get hott drummer muscles too. hahah!

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Adam has visited this site on 12/31 and he didn't reply to his thread that he started on 12/28.
I don't think that he liked the answers that were given.