Maple kit alternative to yamaha MCA? Jazz/funk

lalle81

I've been looking for a vintage kit, but lately more interested in buying a modern kit for jazz, funk, pop and deal with a vintage kit later on. I'm looking for a maple kit that has warmth and a nice tuning range from higher jazztunings to medium. I really like the sound of MCA so what is the closest thing to that?

Looking for 20/12/14 and possible a 10 tom as well.

RickP

Gold Member
Ludwig Classic Maple would be a good choice, maple ply shells, no reinforcing rings same as the Yamaha MCA. Sure the ply counts are different, but still 100% maple ply shells.

The new Yamaha Maple Custom Hybrids look and sound really nice.

lalle81

Thanks!

I've looked at ludwig CM as well, how does it handle high tunings?

Around $2000, if I include a snare I can stretch it for $2500.
I don't want a kit that sound really loud, it will be used in many acoustic settings and smaller jazz groups

evilg99

Platinum Member
Hi there.
Given the parameters you've laid out so far - you like MCA (why don't you buy MCA ??) , you're considering vintage stuff but want more modern, you want drums that are a bit more on the mellow side, and you have a budget of $2000-2500…..
Yamaha Club Custom. Best 'modern vintage' I've heard yet. Made in Japan quality (you can still find them used), cool finishes, Yamaha hardware - best in the biz, and most importantly - the warm and musical voice of the Kapur shells with rounded bearing edges.
I have a full rock kit in Black Swirl 8/10/12/14/16/22/14sn - and I liked them so much, I just picked up a jazz kit in Dark Wood - 10/12/14/18/14sn. The snares are among my favourite wood snares in my collection - of around 25 snares.

Drum Center of Portsmouth has several kits available on eBay, and here's an 8/10/12/14/20 kit on reverb.com
https://reverb.com/item/466624-yamaha-club-custom-drums-brand-new-made-in-japan
No snare on that kit but great price and you've got the most versatile size bass drum there, a 20" x 15".
Check 'em out!!

Neal

wildbill

Platinum Member
Well lalle81, you're a lot closer to knowing what you want than most people who post 'what drum set should I get' on here.
You listed preferred sizes, shell material, and a price range.

I'll admit though, that when I read your first post, Ludwig Classic Maples were the first thing I thought of.

Last edited:

SgtThump

Platinum Member
I have to second Neal's response. I too have a Yamaha Club Custom kit and it's just fantastic!

There are still new ones on eBay right now. They may be available on eBay for a while, but at some point, the stock will be gone and that's the end of buying a new one.

They were only out for like 1-2 years I think before Yamaha moved production to China. They don't currently have a replacement model (which confuses the hell out of me.)

lalle81

Thanks for your advice!

I live in Sweden pretty so buying stuff from US can be pretty expensive for me with shipping and tax fees. I'm also watching for used yamaha MCA around the europe region.

The new MCA hybrid, is it as good as the precious one? I see they use wenge as well.

Club customs seems nice too, don't know anything about kapur, is it familiar with maple?

I own a set of gretsch catalina jazz, but I'm not too fond of it. Think the tone is too round and tubby.

wildbill

Platinum Member
What kinds of drums do you commonly see in Sweden?

Do you have any stores that carry a lot of different lines to choose from?

singing drums

I live in Sweden pretty so buying stuff from US can be pretty expensive for me with shipping and tax fees. I'm also watching for used yamaha MCA around the europe region.
...probably your best bet would be a vintage/semi-vintage maple sonor kit such as the designer series in maple light in bop sizes (or the hilite series or even the force maple series)...sonor has wide distribution in the eu so you should have a wider selection and acceptable pricing levels...with appropriate heads and tuning you should be able to get close to the yamaha mca's sound, imho...

Basswood

Without even thinking one second I'd recommend the Tama Superstars HD Maple. They were introduced this year at NAMM.

Just got back from the store today where I checked them, and all I have to say: what you get for 1500 € (hardware included) is nothing but STAGGERING, quality wise. Talking about the shells and the hardware on the shells. Incredible set, that's what I see normally with sets being 2k more expensive.

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/product/drum_data.php?year=2015&area=3&id=17

spleeeeen

Platinum Member
Hi there.
Given the parameters you've laid out so far - you like MCA (why don't you buy MCA ??) , you're considering vintage stuff but want more modern, you want drums that are a bit more on the mellow side, and you have a budget of $2000-2500…..
Yamaha Club Custom. Best 'modern vintage' I've heard yet. Made in Japan quality (you can still find them used), cool finishes, Yamaha hardware - best in the biz, and most importantly - the warm and musical voice of the Kapur shells with rounded bearing edges.
I have a full rock kit in Black Swirl 8/10/12/14/16/22/14sn - and I liked them so much, I just picked up a jazz kit in Dark Wood - 10/12/14/18/14sn. The snares are among my favourite wood snares in my collection - of around 25 snares.

Drum Center of Portsmouth has several kits available on eBay, and here's an 8/10/12/14/20 kit on reverb.com
https://reverb.com/item/466624-yamaha-club-custom-drums-brand-new-made-in-japan
No snare on that kit but great price and you've got the most versatile size bass drum there, a 20" x 15".
Check 'em out!!

Neal
Dammit Neal, why'd ya have to go and post that link??? ;-)

Must...resist...temptation....

evilg99

Platinum Member
Dammit Neal, why'd ya have to go and post that link??? ;-)

Must...resist...temptation....
Oh, I know , know - sorry man :)
Club Customs are da bomb. I think they will become one of the most sought after Yamaha kits in the future. Sleeper kits, I tell ya! Funny thing is, as awesome as they are, they are not a replacement for my MCA(n) kits. I really appreciate their differences.

Neal

NVIC

Gretsch Renowns are affordable and almost USA (shells US but assemble in Taiwan?). Anyway I love my Kit.

lalle81

wildbill they sell every kind of brands here, but american made and drums is alot more expensive. I have difficulty to try any because I live pretty far from any music stores.

basswood tama is very interesting indeed, have little experience from starclassic b/b kit, but they seem to not offering classic sizes 20/10/12/14. Otherwise they do look interesting with thin maple shells.

Mikedrums78

Sakae, which used to be apart of the manufacturing team with Yamaha is worth a look, especially if you like Yamaha drums. I would suggest the trilogy series or their comparable all maple kit. Seems like they are getting popular in Europe, so its a possibility that they may be in a store near you.

evilg99

Platinum Member
Sakae, which used to be apart of the manufacturing team with Yamaha is worth a look, especially if you like Yamaha drums. I would suggest the trilogy series or their comparable all maple kit. Seems like they are getting popular in Europe, so its a possibility that they may be in a store near you.
+1
Yes, I was going to mention Sakae as well. They seem to be doing well in Europe...

Neal

lalle81

I've been listening to some sakae videos on youtube, they sounds sweet. The celestial series especially but they cost a bit more.. How about the all maple series, have anyone compared it to MCA?

SgtThump

Platinum Member
...I own a set of gretsch catalina jazz, but I'm not too fond of it. Think the tone is too round and tubby.
In that case, I'd probably stay away from the Club Customs. They are very "round" and "warm" and often compared to Gretsch.