Mapex tuning

Terry O'B

I recently bought Mapex Meridian birch drums and am having trouble
getting and keeping the toms in tune. Currently using coated pinstripes.
Anyone else experiencing this ?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Tuning skills take time to develop.
You didn't say how long that you have been playing of what your skill level is so it is hard to offer help.
You didn't state the specific tuning problem that you are having.
What tension range are you tuning at? Loose or Tight? Reso head higher, lower, or same pitch as batter?
Are the lugs loosening up as you play?
I know of no problems with the Meridian Birch drums.

PeteN

Silver Member
Pinstripe + Coated + Birch = Serious Dampening

Toss a moongel on each drum just for good measure. ;-)

AJ3000

Silver Member
In my experience as a meridian player (albeit maple) the drums respond better to heads that aren't so heavily dampened. I was running EC2s for a while and they choked out at anything much higher than wrinkle, whereas a G2 with some moon gel phattened them up and kept a crisp note. I found them very easy to keep in check this way, and they were remarkably stable....

mikel

Platinum Member
Hi. I have one, and no problems. It sounds superb.

Did you seat/stretch the heads properly. I may be teaching you to suck eggs here, but It's odd all the toms have tuning problems. Just one, and it could be a dodgy head, poor bearing edge, out of round shell or buckled hoop, but for them all to be causing problems sounds more like the heads.

If you are unsure look at the tuning threads.

markdrum

Silver Member
I've got a feeling it's the heads that you're using. I have a set of the Meridian Birch drums and they tune up great with Attack 1 ply clear heads top and bottom. I was a little surprised at how easily they came together. The only downside that I've seen with these is the 6 lugs on the two floor toms. In spite of this they both tuned up nicely and they've held tune for a while. Try some one ply heads. The Birch shells seem to like them.

Piebe

What you should do is make sure that your toms are in harmony with each other, so start with the floor tom, which is the easiest to tune, than the 2nd tom etc. Make sure your first tom is perfectly in harmony with the floor tom and than you can't go wrong really.

Sjogras

Silver Member
What you should do is make sure that your toms are in harmony with each other, so start with the floor tom, which is the easiest to tune, than the 2nd tom etc. Make sure your first tom is perfectly in harmony with the floor tom and than you can't go wrong really.
Lots more to it than just having good intervals... And in my experience, floor toms are way harder to tune. I always find that my 10" is the easiest to tune. People generally tune floor toms first because they have a smaller tuning range, which makes it easier as you work yourself up to the highest tom. This was never the case for me though, since I tune to predetermined notes.

Thread is old btw =/