Mapex Tom

S

Stickit

I'm having a problem with my 12" tom. First I bought coated ambassadors for all the toms, I used them at a gig on Saturday and they seemed fine. Today I took the 12 and moved it where the 10 would be, wanting just a four pc. setup. For some reason it lost most of it's resonance, I took the head off and retuned it, but it still sounded like a thump. When I held it by the rim with my fingers it resonated like mad, but after placing it on the tom arm it went flat again. I noticed if I did not tighten the wing screw to tighten it on the arm it came alive again, but was moving around. Does anyone have an idea why this might be happening? BTW, it's a new Mapex Meridian birch kit, thanks.

phfreq

might wanna try this:

reverse the tom arm (instead of pointing up, make it point down). Attach the tom at the edge (farthest from the ball joint) of the arm. If it's not clear, I'll try to find some pictures.

S

Stickit

OK, I'll try that. However, why would that make a difference? When the 12 is set on the other tom arm, (the right one if you're sitting behind the kit), it's fine. Why would moving it to the left tom arm cause it to lose resonance? I also think the toms sound better with the clear stock heads that came with the kit, so I'm going to put them back on to see if that makes a difference.

phfreq

OK, I'll try that. However, why would that make a difference? When the 12 is set on the other tom arm, (the right one if you're sitting behind the kit), it's fine. Why would moving it to the left tom arm cause it to lose resonance? I also think the toms sound better with the clear stock heads that came with the kit, so I'm going to put them back on to see if that makes a difference.
I don't know the explanation when moved to the left.. maybe the surface of the bass drum is affecting it?

WRT to the tom arm pointing downward, I think it gives lesser downward resistance doing that.. I just experimented with it and noticed a difference. Maybe it won't work or there won't be much difference for other shells or other heads.. just experiment ;-)