Mapex Saturn V vs. lV

Lennytoons

Does anybody have any actual experience playing both the Saturn V and lV? I understand the difference is the bearing edge but there is also a LOT of difference in price as more and more lVs are being closed out. I'm really interested in how they sound? Are the new ones $800-900 better?

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
I don't think there is an $800-900 difference between the 2 kits. The only real change were the edges. I don't think they did anything other than that. If you can get in to a IV and save almost a grand, I would do that over getting the V.

Destroyer772

Gold Member
Most IV's have a 22x20 bass drum and shorter rack and floor tom's. Musiciansfriend was selling the 4 piece IV's for $899 3 months after I paid $1990 for the V studioease. I almost had a stroke.

steadypocket

Gold Member
Most IV's have a 22x20 bass drum and shorter rack and floor tom's. Musiciansfriend was selling the 4 piece IV's for $899 3 months after I paid $1990 for the V studioease. I almost had a stroke.
I've seen many of these kits on sale at insane pricing on the MF site. No way I'm lugging around those 22x20 kicks though.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
If the only real difference is the edges & over deep bass drum, buy the older model & get a local builder to cut new edges plus cut the bass drum down. Should cost $100 - $150, & you've still saved a lot of money :)