Mapex Saturn: the Never Ending Joke.......

keep it simple

Platinum Member
An Alex Ross Superman playing a Mapex Saturn on Pluto with Pluto- what's not to love here?
True, although the conspiracy theory guys would jump all over Superman's cape blowing in the "solar" wind ;)

Anyhow, the drums are the wrong colour, & there's not enough of them. Rock riser's pretty impressive though ;)

HMNY

Silver Member
What we really need is a Mapex Light, so when ever Sabian City is threatened by baddies we can shine the light to the night sky and summon Mapex Man.

...to the Mapex Mobile

...to be fair, Glen (the mild mannered alter ego) does already have the Mapex cave!

Fuo

Platinum Member
I'm disappointed about Pluto's demotion too. It has five satellites and Earth only has one. How would we like it if we got demoted because some smart aleck decided that the only "real" planets had two or more moons, mmm?
I was too at first (for no good logical reason), but then I read "How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming" and that changed my mind. It's a really fun read, check it out.

BacteriumFendYoke

Platinum Member
Pluto is not much smaller than Mercury but Charon is just too tiny.
The problem there is that both are big enough for hydrostatic equilibrium and otherwise meet the same criteria. Size just doesn't come into the definition, provided it can maintain relative hydrostatic equilibrium (and there is a bottom limit on how big an object has to be to achieve it).

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Song for Pluto
-------------------

Oh Pluto, oh Pluto
It simply does not comput-o
How could they downgrade you
You - with the largest orbit of all
Demoted by some institut-o.

Lumped in with tiny Charon
Who was just your moon
It's as low as a mere drummer
When it's you who's singing the tune!

They talk of hydrostatic whatsisname
And some binary sophistry
Plutocrats claim that you're not the same
But you'll always be a real dog to me.

toddmc

Gold Member
What we really need is a Mapex Light, so when ever Sabian City is threatened by baddies we can shine the light to the night sky and summon Mapex Man.
Mapex Man- SURELY this is a job for Henri?? (I'll beg if I have to) : )
Maybe Anon could write the theme song? (sorry, I meant opera).

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I once wrote a rock opera called Matt the Builder about some first world problems I had with tradesmen stringing me along. I read it to a guitarist friend who thought I was completely mad (ie. his opinion of me was unchanged) and he felt not even a bit inspired to write the score for it, alas.

Going back to the demotion of Pluto ... I can't just recite the planets and say "Jupiter Mapex Saturn Uranus Neptune ... um, Kuiper Belt Objects". Pluto is always after Neptune. It's like reciting your ten times table and saying "seventy, eighty, ninety ... other stuff".

Doesn't work. "Uranus Neptune Pluto" has a rhythm to it. Where's the soul in "Unanus Neptune". I would have thought a higher priority would have been to change the name of Ur**** to protect the delicate sensitivities of our young.

Just reading a brief synopsis of "How I killed Pluto ...". Interesting stuff, thanks Fuo..