Mapex Saturn Pro - Mapex Saturn

W

Woz.275

I have a Mapex Saturn Series drum kit, 2 years old.

I have aquired a 13" rack tom, but it is a Mapex Saturn Pro.

Can anyone tell me the differance between the two drums.

The only thing i can see is that maybe the Pro series has a thinner shell.

All the hardware is the same, and there is walnut ply's inside the pro as well.

Looks like the same drum, but thinner, can anyone shed any light between these two drums.

I am a happy man today..

Drumolator

Platinum Member
The shells are a bit different, but if it sounds good with your other drums, do not be concerned about it. I used to know the exact difference, but I cannot remember, but I do remember the difference is slight. Congrats on your new instrument, which is a quality drum.

Mapex----Maniac

Th pro series drums are basswood and maple while the new mapex saturns are maple and walnut. I think that may be the only difference though.

Are you sure it has an inner layer of walnut and not basswood? If it does have an inner layer of walnut then I think they are the same

kettles

Gold Member
I have a modern drummer with an ad for "Saturn Pro", Gold badge, and the ad says maple and walnut. Maybe it was just the last batch of "Pros" that were walnut before switching the name?

Mapex----Maniac

I have a modern drummer with an ad for "Saturn Pro", Gold badge, and the ad says maple and walnut. Maybe it was just the last batch of "Pros" that were walnut before switching the name?
Yeah I've noticed that too in some cases, I think they might have changed the wood right before they changed the name, but I don't think there are many Saturn pros that have walnut.

mathdrans

Help!! I'm new to this, I have been looking at a Mapex Saturn, see picture below, I just cant be sure it is the real McCoy? The badge appears to be stuck on and the furniture I havent seen on any other Saturns, can anyone help?
$_57 (1).JPG

$_57.JPG

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Saturns have an inner ply of walnut if I'm not mistaken. Judging from the color of the wood visible in your bass drum....that's not walnut. Plus the lugs aren't Saturn lugs to the best of my knowledge. But I'm not a Saturn expert at all. If they are Saturns they are probably the first version of them.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member
I think the earlier saturns had a different wood combination or a different ply layup. That looks like a mars pro to me but I'm no drum historian, it's maybe the 1st gen saturn.