Mapex Black Panther vs Pork Pie Little Squeeler

Homeularis

Gold Member
I have to choose between the Mapex Black Panther 13x7" "Blaster" Snare and the Pork Pie Little Squeeler vented 13x7" snare.
I have heard the PP LS and it has a very good pop/crack but it is a little dry and doesnt have too much low end.
I havent heard the Mapex BP B but I know its BA from all that I have heard and read about it. (all Maple with Walnut reinforcing rings). Sounds closer to the sound I'm looking for.

The problem is, I can afford the PP right now but I'll have to wait for who knows how long to save up for the Mapex.

PP LS $220
Mapex BP BL $325

I dont know...What do you guys think?.

I'm trying to download pics of these snares but not quite sure how yet.
Could use some tips there too. :)

Last edited:

KBadd

Silver Member
Sorry dude. It sounds like you want the Mapex. Wait for it and then get it. You won't be sorry. Too many people settle for things instead of waiting.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I've not played either snare, but both seem to get good wraps here on the forum.

However, I do know this about drum gear. Everytime I've settled for "second best" I've regretted the decision. Better to save your pennies and get what you really want as first point of call.

Bruce M. Thomson

Gold Member
I will pipe in and say go for the Black Panther, I play the walnut 14 x 6 and it has a lot of crack when I want that so I could only imagine what a 13 " would do for you.
That plus all of the above advice.

Cheers

Homeularis

Gold Member
Thanks for your opinions guys, Yeah, the BP is pretty BA and I dont like the whole settling thing, but I also gotta have a good snare pretty quick.

So, no lovers of the PP LS huh?...lol. I played one at GC and it definately has its merits. Its a pretty BA little snare in its own right, just a little one dimentional.

Still on the fence though.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
Dude, go for the BP. It's a better drum and trust me on this because i know- you WILL regret cheaping out on a snare drum.

Homeularis

Gold Member
I dont think you can find them anywhere yet. Theyre pretty much brand new. Even Guitar Center said they dont have them in their distribution center yet, but I will look on ebay.
I have seen them somewhere online though, just forgot where. They are always $324 dollars and I'm fairly confident that I'll never find one used. I dont think anyone in their right mind would want to get rid of one, unless they were absolutely desperate.

eddiehimself

Platinum Member
I dont think you can find them anywhere yet. Theyre pretty much brand new. Even Guitar Center said they dont have them in their distribution center yet, but I will look on ebay.
I have seen them somewhere online though, just forgot where. They are always $324 dollars and I'm fairly confident that I'll never find one used. I dont think anyone in their right mind would want to get rid of one, unless they were absolutely desperate.
Which just goes to show.... Seriously though, I probably should have asked myself when I bought my snare drum, why someone was selling a snare drum they bought for £320 2 months previously at half price?

Shedboyxx

Silver Member
I can't address a straight out comparison of these drums.

However I own similar size drums from both manufacturers. I have (3) Pork Pie snare drums that I love: a 5 x 13 maple PP, a 6 x 13 maple PP and a 6 x14 ash PP.

I also own a discontinued Mapex Phosphor Bronze 5.5 x 13 snare.

The Pork Pie 5 x 13 and the Mapex PB 5.5 x 13 are just very musical sounding snare drums that I have loved and used for different situations. The workmanship is great on both of them. Just throwing this out there for a quality level comparison.

However, I'm personally not a fan of any 'vented' drums, Pork Pie, OCDP, Spaun, etc.. The Pork Pie would be a good choice if that's the (very strong) direction you want to go sound wise. I just wouldn't go the vented drum route with any manufacturer. But that's just me. :)

I'd save the pennies and get the Mapex or any good drum that doesn't have more than normal venting.

Jim