Making up musical/drumming words?

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Thought of another...

30 years ago in the rockabilly band I was in (still work with Rip Masters BTW!) we had a sub bassist who was doing all sorts of techincal stuff when all Rip wanted was the 1/2 notes and walking bass that better suit rockabilly. We called it....

JACOBILLY - The inappropriate result when Jaco Pastorious tries to play rockabilly.

:)

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
Just came up with another -

ATOMINATION - from tom abomination, when a tom sounds really, really bad!

"That floor tom is an atomination... tune it up dude!"

Bermuda
I like it. How about a DRUMBLE? That when a drummer is playing a great beat, and go to do a fill and lose the rhythm.

brady

Platinum Member
I don't think I've made up any myself; it's usually from my non-drumming friends.

The bass player/leader of one of the blues bands I played with asked me to give him, "That Memphis Mambo thing." Which was his code for a blues rumba.

A favorite of mine is the guy that called my hi-hat "the clampy cymbals".

Stroman

Platinum Member
I worked with a band that had a whole notebook of words like that! The only one I can remember right now is "chucka" - a muted double punch on the guitar. A lot of theirs were onomatopoeia so they could remember different sounds they wanted to make. The list was very funny, wish I could remember more!

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Earball.

Term referring to making up or figuring out a musical part on the spot, but of course in a educated way that makes sense with the rest of the band. Analogous to eyeballing something, but specifically in a musical context.

Band Member - "Are you familiar with this song?"
Hired Sit-in - "No dude. I'll just earball it."

Band Leader - "We don't have a drum chart for this song yet, so you'll have to earball it for now."

Somebody calls some tune at a blues jam that you don't know. Ask the bass player if its a shuffle, 12/8, or straight 8th groove, and earball the rest.

lol. I use this term way too much I think.
Some jazz cats I used to know referred to this as "smelling" the song out. Or someone who could follow and guess the obvious changes as having a great sense of smell. I occasionally get funny looks for using that one.

But I love the ones people are coming up with here. Jacobilly! Which would be turned into Jacoballad, Jacoshuffle or any other situation where someone is twinkle fingering (a term another drummer I know uses for people who do this) where it isn't called for. I'm going to have to remember to refer to his jam night special, single dented head dumpster rescue drum as an atombination.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I describe extreme pitch bend tom tuning as a "doing a Simmons", after the very first series "disco tom" sound.

I love some of the drum sound descriptions, "thwump" being my absolute favourite to describe a muffled/slack low tuning.

I have a generic term I use for large drum badges, but I dare not utter it here ;)

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Jacobilly! Which would be turned into Jacoballad, Jacoshuffle or any other situation where someone is twinkle fingering (a term another drummer I know uses for people who do this) where it isn't called for. I'm going to have to remember to refer to his jam night special, single dented head dumpster rescue drum as an atombination.
What about for drummers? Maybe a rock drummer who sprays lots of notes around is Mooning the song. In a way they are anyway - Keith or no Keith.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
I like some mojovation before I start playing my drums.

Grea, I love to Moon a song. We play jams for 10 to 20 minutes so you know I'm getting in touch with my inner Moon somewhere in that song and Mooning the song at least once. ha ha! I like it!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
TANG

As in, "tang the hump"

James Brown would say that when he wanted the drummer du jour to play the bell of the ride.

Bermuda

Arky

Platinum Member
Dumblebass - just came up with that term.
It's when you play double bass/the double pedal in a context where it doesn't make any sense... makes sense? ;-)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Drumtastic or Drumerific

When someone plays a really impressive/technically difficult fill or beat, but musically didn't really need to be played there.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Dumblebass - just came up with that term.
It's when you play double bass/the double pedal in a context where it doesn't make any sense... makes sense? ;-)
I'd say more when a drummer plays constant double bass through out an entire album for no particular reason rather than letting the music breathe and picking just the right spots for the all out double bass assault.