making progress without a drum set

howidied

hey, let´s say I won´t be having an acces to my drums over the next period of time due to certain circumstances for as much time as I had until now. let´s say I won´t sit behind the drums 20 hours a week but just 10, is it possible to stay in shape and get better with just a practice pad and a kick pad? won´t my performance suffer then? will it have the same effect? thanks

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Nothing beats time on the kit. But a couple of practice pads and kick pad rigged to somewhat resemble a kit is better than nothing at all.

I had to do it for several years....just had no room to set up a kit. There wasn't much that this set up didn't allow me to work on. The touch, feel and nuances of a drum head aren't there. But the ability work on patterns, sticking, to separate your hands as if working your way round a kit are all achievable.

If it comes down to a makeshift pad kit or nothing at all........it's a no brainer.

dmacc

Platinum Member
Schedule and use your time wisely. There have been months and perhaps years of my life where 10 hours per week would have been a lot of time. Work and family take / took precedence.

10 hours is enough time to stay in shape and progress assuming you make realistic goals and use your time wisely.

Fuo

Platinum Member
10hr/week is still a pretty respectable amount of practice time, as long as it is used well. at least I hope it is, because that's about how much I practice (on the kit anyway, plus more on pad).

The Black Page Dude

As long as you practice stuff that consistently challenges you ... you can spend 7 hours a week and grow 100% more than practicing 40 hours a week and shedding only stuff you know.

practice pad and a kick practice pad ... or the side of the couch.

Midnite Zephyr

Platinum Member
As long as you practice stuff that consistently challenges you ... you can spend 7 hours a week and grow 100% more than practicing 40 hours a week and shedding only stuff you know.

Good point there. +1......"Like"

Some of us work hard, and some of us work smart and play hard.

Duck Tape

Platinum Member

I find that interesting.

I have several routines that I know like the back of my hand, but they're not easy, and introducing new tempos keeps me on my toes. I'm not really agreeing/disagreeing, but it's important to refine what you already know.

I was gonna get into some new material but I've been shedding on the same material for a while and I think I've improved lots.

12x7

I recommend a split surface real feel style pad, a bass drum pad, and a double pedal. i used this for a year, and had some great revelations.

Zero Mercury Drummer

What I find about working with a pad is that it will make you play things you would not normally play on a kit. I work a lot with trad grip on the pad.
Then, over time, you can start doing it on the kit.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
I found that practicing on a pad on a snare stand and a bass drum practice pad helped me quite a bit. My bass drum playing is much better now. Peace and goodwill.