Making a drumming video with electronic drums

DrummerCA35

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience making videos of yourselves playing the drums? Particularly where you have the main video of yourself, and then also another simultaneous video that shows your feet. I've seen this...where at parts of the video it also shows a separate picture at the same time showing the feet. Anyone know how this is done?

Would I would like to do is get some video of me playing my electronic kit, with the output going to the video recorder, so I've got both the video AND the output from the brain. And like I said, there are parts where I'd like to have the feet shown at the the same time in a separate picture. Would I need two cameras to do this? Finally, I'd like to be able to speak into a mic, so I can narrate what I'm doing.

Been wanting to do this for some years now and never got around to it. I have a video camera, an iphone, ipad, etc.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Also, ideally, I'd like to have some drumless songs that I could play over if possible.

Sorry if these are silly questions...

Thank you

New Tricks

Platinum Member
The recording and drumless tracks are pretty straight forward but, in my experience, learning to edit video is harder than playing opposite paradiddles with your hands and feet.

Good luck :)

brentcn

Platinum Member
Hi,

Does anyone have any experience making videos of yourselves playing the drums? Particularly where you have the main video of yourself, and then also another simultaneous video that shows your feet. I've seen this...where at parts of the video it also shows a separate picture at the same time showing the feet. Anyone know how this is done?

Would I would like to do is get some video of me playing my electronic kit, with the output going to the video recorder, so I've got both the video AND the output from the brain. And like I said, there are parts where I'd like to have the feet shown at the the same time in a separate picture. Would I need two cameras to do this? Finally, I'd like to be able to speak into a mic, so I can narrate what I'm doing.

Been wanting to do this for some years now and never got around to it. I have a video camera, an iphone, ipad, etc.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Also, ideally, I'd like to have some drumless songs that I could play over if possible.

Sorry if these are silly questions...

Thank you
Not silly. It can be difficult to get your mind around this stuff at first. Yes, you will need to cameras, filming at the same time. The good news is that you already have three cameras: your video camera, your iphone, and your iPad. Buy some mic stands and mounts for the different devices, position them, hit record on each camera, then start playing. Record the audio to your computer.

Once the video and audio has been recorded, you'll want to synchronize everything in some video editing software. Some programs can do this easily, and some not so much. Adobe Premiere is what the pros use, and you can buy a subscription for a month, use it, and then unsubscribe after a month, for like $60. You might also consider other software, but make sure it can handle more than one clip at a time, and layered shots (i.e. the feet close up, layered over the main clip of you playing). YouTube tutorials are your friend!

JonnyOzDrum

Not silly. It can be difficult to get your mind around this stuff at first. Yes, you will need to cameras, filming at the same time. The good news is that you already have three cameras: your video camera, your iphone, and your iPad. Buy some mic stands and mounts for the different devices, position them, hit record on each camera, then start playing. Record the audio to your computer.

Once the video and audio has been recorded, you'll want to synchronize everything in some video editing software. Some programs can do this easily, and some not so much. Adobe Premiere is what the pros use, and you can buy a subscription for a month, use it, and then unsubscribe after a month, for like $60. You might also consider other software, but make sure it can handle more than one clip at a time, and layered shots (i.e. the feet close up, layered over the main clip of you playing). YouTube tutorials are your friend!
Agreed.

It can be tricky business getting everything to work, but it'll definitely add to your skillset. Instead of Adobe, I recommend a program titled "Shotcut" ( http://www.shotcut.org ). It's free and can handle multiple angles. Only caveat with it is that it doesn't bring any kind of instructions. So as brentcn said, "YouTube tutorials are your friend!"

One thing I would definitely suggest though, is make sure your cameras are recording at the same FPS (frame-per-second) aka Frame-Rate. This is important because if they differ, then you'll find that the clips will sync up in some places, and fall out-of-sync in other places. You can work around this by editing...but believe me, it's a pain.

Go through the settings on each camera/device and make sure to get the FPS to the same number. Ideally, you want all the resolutions to match as well, but the tricky one is the FPS. I'd suggest recording at either 30 FPS or 60 FPS.

Last edited:

brentcn

Platinum Member
Probably you shouldn't bother shooting at less than 30 fps. This is what the iPhones shoot at. If your video camera won't do 30 fps, your phone and iPad probably can.

Lighting matters way more than you think. The shots will look blurry and/or grainy if the light is too low. Usually, normal room lights are not enough.

beyondbetrayal

Platinum Member
Treat it as 2 separate things. Video and Audio.

For audio you need a DAW. You can record the audio out of the ekit or use a VST to get your drums sounding real. That uses the midi and works great. (google drum VST's or ekit+midi etc)

once you are ABLE to record audio and have it sound good. set up your camera or cameras. Use a camera for every angle. You will never play the exact same thing perfectly over and over.

Hit record on the cameras and the DAW. I usualy click my sticks very loud infront of the camera. it causes an audio spike on the DAW and on the video recordings audio track I line up to get it all in sync. With an EKIT this wont work.

I will hit the snare a few times in a row at the beginning of the track and line that up usually.

Editing is a whole new boat. I take the audio track after i am done recording my drums, and render it to a wav file. I put that in the video editing program. davinci resolve is a good free program but a huge learning curve. Imovie or whatever is probibly easier.

line up those audio spikes from the beginning and learn to edit. Editing video is a process though. Try and one take things if you can.

Thats very basic though. getting the voice audio I'd get a mic into an interface that you will be recording the midi from the ekit with. it will record as a separate track. compression, a gate etc will make it sound good. mixing is an art itself.