Mahogany - quality question

az drum pro

Well this really mushroomed didn't it? The whole point of my original post on this thread and I guess the bottom line was this. If a drum set sounds really good and has a nice look to it and plays nice what's the difference what wood it's made of or what the purchase price was?

That was all I was saying until ole Petey decided to get sore and start a shit storm over nothing.

opentune

Platinum Member
I get and believe your original statement there Az, but what you then said below:

"If anyone really thinks more expensive drums made with Maple or Birch sound better well, it their money to waste. I however know better ;)"

differs 180 degrees from that. You refuted what you originally said, also opening up a sh*tstorm. just sayin'....

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
Hey AZ wanna buy some Cat Elites from me? ole uncle Petey poo!Hardwares a bit rusty but Man do they sound like a shitstorm. Like i said the real aim of the thread is MAHOGANY.

Last edited:

az drum pro

Yeah Pete, because I really believe you got a set of Elites and heard them with good heads and good tuning. What are you, like 14?

Like I said, the placebo effect.

Opentune, what was wrong with that statement? It's true and to my point! Are you actually reading what I wrote and putting any of it in context? Unbelievable!

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
The fact still remains we are talking about True Mahogany. If it can't be sold by Species Name at least try to recognise it by sight. Pocket pretty well answered the OP's question in post 2 , but for some of us the True Mahoganies are Valued, Placebo or Not. Meranti, bottom left, Top Left Honduran, Top Right African, Bottom Right Cuban..

Last edited:

Spreggy

Silver Member
We've been using toona sinensis, a.k.a. red toon, a true mahogany, for making basses. Upright bass that is, not electric. As a tonewood, it's our current favorite. Warm, quick speaking, and mature sounding. Our mahogany basses sound like you want your maple bass to sound like after it's been played in for a few years. It works easy, too. Wonderful stuff, and sexy looking. I would definitely like to see how it sounds as a shell pack.

Last edited:

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
We've been using toona sinensis, a.k.a. red toon, a true mahogany, for making basses. Upright bass that is, not electric. As a tonewood, it's our current favorite. Warm, quick speaking, and mature sounding. Our mahogany basses sound like you want your maple bass to sound like after it's been played in for a few years. It works easy, too. Wonderful stuff, and sexy looking. I would definitely like to see how it sounds as a shell pack.

Nice Bass, We were just talking about acoustic basses here.Toona Sinensis Cool ! and you can stir fry the young leaves and eat them as well.

littlebluedrum

Ludwig puts out some great Mahogany Kits that are totally awesome. I wrote about them on the Blog. The sound is really, really good. You'd be surprised.