Made my own ghetto hole plates!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I know, they don't look like much, but since no one here is making plates for these, I took matters into my own hands and forged my own plates to cover my modular tom mount holes, and the holes for the second set of spurs on my Ludwig 16x28!

It's amazing what you can do with 90-cent 12"x12" piece of sheet metal, a pair of tin snips and a sharpie! I know they don't look perfect, and the cutting could've been done by your average pre-schooler, but considering the very worked-in and scratched drum, I think it gives it more character.

Next project is to cover the holes from the mount on the 10x14 rack tom ;)

Wish me luck!
 

Attachments

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I applaud your efforts. Just wondering if you put any sort of gasket between the plates and the shell? I doubt you will have issues with the two small ones, but the big one may give you some sort of weird vibrations being that it's kinda big and only held down in three spots.
 

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Nicely done Bo! Did you take a file, grinder or sander to the edges to smooth them?
You know what? I didn’t! I was in a rush to see my handy work so I just bent them by hand and put them on. I do have a Dremel tool with a grinding wheel so I’ll do that today. Thanks for the reminder!
 

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I applaud your efforts. Just wondering if you put any sort of gasket between the plates and the shell? I doubt you will have issues with the two small ones, but the big one may give you some sort of weird vibrations being that it's kinda big and only held down in three spots.
Hadn’t thought about a gasket. But I do have the original felt I traced it from, I could use that.
 

Nate'sKit

Senior Member
Antique brass door kick, jeweler's saw, grinder, files, even sandpaper. Patience.



I could have polished this more but I wanted it to patinate. I sprayed the interior with rattle can lacquer so it wouldn't funk up the elctronical thingys. That would take some doing though, as it was actually used as a door kick plate in a hospital for who knows how many years. You can get new ones at your local home improvement store, and it would be thinner than this.



The picks were practice for the electronics cover plate, which was practice for the pickguard that I never did as I started on drums.
 

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
Those look pretty nice. I know Yamaha makes their own version of that to cover their bass drum mount holes, it looks basically the same as yours. I always wondered if you could pull off cutting out little pieces of wood with matched finishes to plug up the unwanted holes...
 

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Those look pretty nice. I know Yamaha makes their own version of that to cover their bass drum mount holes, it looks basically the same as yours. I always wondered if you could pull off cutting out little pieces of wood with matched finishes to plug up the unwanted holes...
It would probably be easier to fill the hole with putty, wood filler, or even Bondo and sand it to match the curve. And yes, Bondo works great on wood, we use it on EV cabinets at work prior to sending and painting to fill any unwanted holes and imperfections.
 

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Those look pretty nice. I know Yamaha makes their own version of that to cover their bass drum mount holes, it looks basically the same as yours. I always wondered if you could pull off cutting out little pieces of wood with matched finishes to plug up the unwanted holes...
I’ve actually had that done for other drums and it looks good but it’s sorta permanent. I just wanted covers so I could go back to the original mounts should I need to.
 

Tamaefx

Silver Member
I did the same on my Former Tama Silverstar.
The metal wasn't that nice so I painted it silver :


No gasket, no weird sound. I guess you can can get some if the front Bass Drum skin is full, you may have some air trying to escape through any gaps it can find.
 

PetesPonies

Junior Member
I know, they don't look like much, but since no one here is making plates for these, I took matters into my own hands and forged my own plates to cover my modular tom mount holes, and the holes for the second set of spurs on my Ludwig 16x28!

It's amazing what you can do with 90-cent 12"x12" piece of sheet metal, a pair of tin snips and a sharpie! I know they don't look perfect, and the cutting could've been done by your average pre-schooler, but considering the very worked-in and scratched drum, I think it gives it more character.

Next project is to cover the holes from the mount on the 10x14 rack tom ;)

Wish me luck!

Here's what I did with my Mapex. I switched to a rack and wanted to cover the mount holes in the bass. So I bought some aluminum sheet metal, very thin. I then bought a Mapex vinyl decal. I cut the plate to fit the shape of the decal. Some cutting, some filing and some sanding ( maybe 10 minutes total ) and I have a plate. It is attached with automotive trim double sided tape.
 

Attachments

Here's what I did with my Mapex. I switched to a rack and wanted to cover the mount holes in the bass. So I bought some aluminum sheet metal, very thin. I then bought a Mapex vinyl decal. I cut the plate to fit the shape of the decal. Some cutting, some filing and some sanding ( maybe 10 minutes total ) and I have a plate. It is attached with automotive trim double sided tape.
Nice job 👍🏻. Good idea !
 

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Here's what I did with my Mapex. I switched to a rack and wanted to cover the mount holes in the bass. So I bought some aluminum sheet metal, very thin. I then bought a Mapex vinyl decal. I cut the plate to fit the shape of the decal. Some cutting, some filing and some sanding ( maybe 10 minutes total ) and I have a plate. It is attached with automotive trim double sided tape.
This would have made a former forum member pretty happy....🙃



Sorry for the years old joke.... just having fun....
 
Top