Luke Snyder Music Blog, Advice Needed!

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Hey everyone, I've just started a blog devoted to drums, drumming, and music.

http://lukesnydermusic.blogspot.com

I'm completely new to all of this, so I would like any and all advice! I would like opinions on the graphics and styling, and any tips you can give me on blogging, search engine optimizing, and things like that. Also, if you would like to keep updated, you can subscribe!

So, any comments? And does anyone else on here run blogs?

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Looking good- I would use the same font on the header as is in the wallpaper graphic. I believe "search engine optimizing" is a non-service web people offer because clients like the sound of it and will pay for it- I don't know, maybe there's more to it than that. Google and most of the other search engines index your site automatically. To maximize visibility, post frequently (like at least once daily) and link to other sites, particularly other blogs. It also helps to frequent and comment on other blogs, and to keep a "blogroll" (a list of links to blogs you like, on your site). It helps when people link to you, so once you make friends with the big drumming blogs you might let them know about your big, most substantive posts.

I've been thinking about reviving my old "Cruise Ship Drummer!" blog- making it actually about drumming this time- I'll let you know; maybe we can trade blogrolls...

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Looking good- I would use the same font on the header as is in the wallpaper graphic. I believe "search engine optimizing" is a non-service web people offer because clients like the sound of it and will pay for it- I don't know, maybe there's more to it than that. Google and most of the other search engines index your site automatically. To maximize visibility, post frequently (like at least once daily) and link to other sites, particularly other blogs. It also helps to frequent and comment on other blogs, and to keep a "blogroll" (a list of links to blogs you like, on your site). It helps when people link to you, so once you make friends with the big drumming blogs you might let them know about your big, most substantive posts.

I've been thinking about reviving my old "Cruise Ship Drummer!" blog- making it actually about drumming this time- I'll let you know; maybe we can trade blogrolls...
Thanks for your input Todd, I'll change the header to match. In fact, I'm just getting rid of the graphic there entirely and just using text. There's definitely something to SEO, I've learned a little bit of doing Youtube videos. I understand pretty well how to make my Youtube videos easy to search for, but I'm a lot shakier on the concept when it comes to the rest of the internet. A blogroll is a good idea, I will implement that. Thanks you for your help!

toddbishop

Platinum Member
Great, I hope that helps- you've actually inspired me to get my thing together- I've given it a little face lift and posted a few things...

paradiddler

Luke, I am not your father!

Great to see you're starting your own blog. As you know, I have one of my own, a labor of love, of sorts.

I'm going to recommend that you obtain your own domain name and find a web host. The reason for that is that you'd have complete control over your site and the content on it. You make the rules, and you're not dependent on the free host's terms.

As an example, even though Blogspot probably isn't going anywhere for a while, if for some reason they decide to close their doors, if they happen to decide to shut down (or they get shut down), your blog is gone. Since you don't have complete control over the content, or even the domain name, you won't be able to get it back. To start over again would be a huge undertaking, especially if your blog has been up for a time and it has some Google ranking.

Another disadvantage to putting your blog on a free hosting service is that you're limited to how you want to it to look. You're limited to whatever designs they make available to you.

I would, as soon as you can, obtain your own domain name. You can go to a site like Namecheap.com, and it costs something like $10/yr (yes, I said per year!). Also, you can host your own site on Hostgator.com (as an example) for less than $10/mo.

Doing it this way allows you to install a legitimate blogging platform like Wordpress, which developers have made available for it literally thousands of themes (design templates) for free (actually, Wordpress is free too). There are thousands of Wordpress plugins that allow to implement an incredible amount of control on how your site looks and behaves, including plugins that automatically optimize your site for search engines. Doing it this way, you can make your blog look any way you want - you have total control.

There's actually a lot more to say, but it's a little beyond the scope of this forum (even though I play drums too!). I can steer to some free information - you know how to contact me.

If anybody else reading this would like more information, you can send me a private message, or e-mail me at omar@theparadiddler.com.

Good luck!

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
Great, I hope that helps- you've actually inspired me to get my thing together- I've given it a little face lift and posted a few things...
Thats awesome! I'm glad to hear that Todd!

Luke, I am not your father!

Great to see you're starting your own blog. As you know, I have one of my own, a labor of love, of sorts.

I'm going to recommend that you obtain your own domain name and find a web host. The reason for that is that you'd have complete control over your site and the content on it. You make the rules, and you're not dependent on the free host's terms.

As an example, even though Blogspot probably isn't going anywhere for a while, if for some reason they decide to close their doors, if they happen to decide to shut down (or they get shut down), your blog is gone. Since you don't have complete control over the content, or even the domain name, you won't be able to get it back. To start over again would be a huge undertaking, especially if your blog has been up for a time and it has some Google ranking.

Another disadvantage to putting your blog on a free hosting service is that you're limited to how you want to it to look. You're limited to whatever designs they make available to you.

I would, as soon as you can, obtain your own domain name. You can go to a site like Namecheap.com, and it costs something like $10/yr (yes, I said per year!). Also, you can host your own site on Hostgator.com (as an example) for less than $10/mo.

Doing it this way allows you to install a legitimate blogging platform like Wordpress, which developers have made available for it literally thousands of themes (design templates) for free (actually, Wordpress is free too). There are thousands of Wordpress plugins that allow to implement an incredible amount of control on how your site looks and behaves, including plugins that automatically optimize your site for search engines. Doing it this way, you can make your blog look any way you want - you have total control.

There's actually a lot more to say, but it's a little beyond the scope of this forum (even though I play drums too!). I can steer to some free information - you know how to contact me.

If anybody else reading this would like more information, you can send me a private message, or e-mail me at omar@theparadiddler.com.

Good luck!
Hehe, I knew you would drop in on this thread Omar ;) I guess I really do need to bite the bullet and get my own domain... I definitely like to have as much control as possible; its a little scary to be dependent on all of these third parties to stick around. Although, I don't think Google is going anywhere any time soon :D I'll probably contact you soon for more help though, your blog is awesome, so I know you know your stuff! Thanks!