Ludwig's new Signet 105 drum line!

wildbill

Platinum Member
Very few drums at GC ever sound good. It's the last place I'd go to hear a kick, snare, or tom at their best....

Bermuda

I agree. I was back at GC today and took another look at them.
They had both toms sounding great, but the kick drum sounded bad.
I know it's not the drum, but the way it was tuned. It just didn't feel right on the beater either.
But I was there to get something else and didn't want to cause a ruckus about it.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Yeah I have to talk to the guys at GC. They also could have been tuned better.
Very few drums at GC ever sound good. It's the last place I'd go to hear a kick, snare, or tom at their best.

Looking forward to your review. Ludwig if you are listening - if you had the kit in a vintage sparkle it would have come home with me. The ebony is neat also but I would go for the blue strata myself.
Part of keeping the cost down involves not wrapping the drum. The finish on the drums is a ply, made in the mold with the rest of the shell. So, no extra labor or materials needed after the shell is done (although there's a sealer applied by hand, probably takes 10 seconds per drum.)

Bermuda

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
Remo Ebonies? Oh dear...

The drums are supplied with Ludwig Heavy clear heads, which really aren't the best for those drums IMO, but I'm sure the Ebony heads didn't help the sound.

Bermuda
Yeah I have to talk to the guys at GC. They also could have been tuned better. I usually keep a drum key on my key chain otherwise I would have helped them. I would still say G1clears or coated.

Looking forward to your review. Ludwig if you are listening - if you had the kit in a vintage sparkle it would have come home with me. The ebony is neat also but I would go for the blue strata myself.

Manny

bermuda

The toms were almost up in the bop range and could have used something other than Remo ebony heads.
Remo Ebonies? Oh dear...

The drums are supplied with Ludwig Heavy clear heads, which really aren't the best for those drums IMO, but I'm sure the Ebony heads didn't help the sound.

Bermuda

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
I played the kit for about 15 minutes today at GC. Loved the bass drum. The toms were almost up in the bop range and could have used something other than Remo ebony heads. Other than that a great little kit. I would throw some coated G1's on the toms and maybe an Emad on the bass drum.

opentune

Platinum Member
If other companies were smart they would catch the wave here. Just sell shells with lugs/rims, lugs, rods, screws - all un-assembled.
Think about it - even if they sent you regular lugs with screws etc, it would still only take you only a few hours to assemble your kit, with these pre-drilled shells. They could also sell with no heads included - we all change them out anyway. They also cut out the cost of factory assembly.

bermuda

I don't know how there can be misconceptions about this kit really. It's a simple principal, done well, with a major legacy name, & at a great price point. What's not to like?
What?? There have been unfounded objections and skepticism about almost every aspect of this new line!! I've tried to answer each, but it's an uphill battle because people seem to think I automatically promote everything Ludwig (they don't know me very well!)

I don't need everyone to love the drums, I just need them to know the facts before they come to any conclusions. I will have a kit on the gig next weekend, and give a full report on their sound and performance, warts and all.

Bermuda

AirborneSFC

Gold Member
This kit is sooo tempting! Now if I only didn't already have 7 kits. Also lost one of my practice spaces so I had to move that kit back to the mother ship. FWIW this is coming from someone who owns very expensive kits and one each of the "great" vintage US made kits (Gretsch, Rogers, Ludwig) so take that for what its worth.

wildbill

Platinum Member
I know, but in a heated thread still rife with misconceptions, I don't want anyone to think there's a lot of time involved in going from box to beat.

Oh that's good: box to beat in 30 minutes!

Ya listening Ludwig? :)

I was the one who brought up assembly time. But it was in reference to an employee working in a busy store and probably dealing with customers at the same time.
Not the same thing as an individual getting them set up in their home.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
I don't know how there can be misconceptions about this kit really. It's a simple principal, done well, with a major legacy name, & at a great price point. What's not to like?
My sediments exactly. I was surprised at the negativity that was expressed in this thread.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I know, but in a heated thread still rife with misconceptions, I don't want anyone to think there's a lot of time involved in going from box to beat.

Sounds a bit like beat box Jon, but a cool tagline :)

bermuda

Jon, my comment was only to point out that I don't believe the time taken to assemble is a big deal. If most customers got theirs shipped to them in a box (& I'm guessing that's how most will receive them), the assembly process is part of the fun. Looking from the outside, I can't see how it takes two hours either, but so what if it does. Perhaps owners do want to polish the fittings before they put them on the shells. Again, no big deal, & part of the pride of ownership.

tclem

Congrats..................I'm still on the fence............................not that I need another kit, but that Macassar Ebony is gorgeous
Thanks! Yeah my wife actually told me that she thought it was time for a new kit. Which is understandable seeing as the last time that I got a new kit was in the 7th grade. I am now 27 lol. Most places that i play now have their own kits so i just bring my snare and cymbals.

keep it simple

Platinum Member
I can't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes to assemble and tune the kit. It's not that I'm smart... it's just not that time-consuming. There's no prep, just open the box and take everything out.\

3 hours? Absolutely not possible, unless the guy was also doing other stuff while setting them up and didn't account for his other duties. Or, he was deliberately working very slowly, or maybe hand-polishing each part. I dunno, it's a very quick process.

If the drums took that long to set up, the stores wouldn't want to waste the time in order to show them.

Bermuda
Jon, my comment was only to point out that I don't believe the time taken to assemble is a big deal. If most customers got theirs shipped to them in a box (& I'm guessing that's how most will receive them), the assembly process is part of the fun. Looking from the outside, I can't see how it takes two hours either, but so what if it does. Perhaps owners do want to polish the fittings before they put them on the shells. Again, no big deal, & part of the pride of ownership.

bermuda

I can't imagine it taking more than 30 minutes to assemble and tune the kit. It's not that I'm smart... it's just not that time-consuming. There's no prep, just open the box and take everything out.\

3 hours? Absolutely not possible, unless the guy was also doing other stuff while setting them up and didn't account for his other duties. Or, he was deliberately working very slowly, or maybe hand-polishing each part. I dunno, it's a very quick process.

If the drums took that long to set up, the stores wouldn't want to waste the time in order to show them.

Bermuda

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Quote from Andy......" Let's face it, if it takes 30 minutes or 3 hours, no big deal. I think most customers would want to take their time anyhow. Being careful, pride of ownership, etc. All good stuff! ..."

I just spent three hours taking apart, re-wrapping, and putting back together, one of my snares. 30 minutes is nothing for the savings on a Maple Ludwig Kit. If I were the true Gretsch fanboy I would be all over this in a negative way but I think it is a cool concept.

longgun

Gold Member
Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I have used it a long time to research different gear. I learned about the Signet kit from this thread and i will be going tomorrow with my tax money and buying the Gigabeat in Macassar Ebony! I'll be leaving for Quebec city shortly after but i'll post pics next Friday.
Congrats..................I'm still on the fence............................not that I need another kit, but that Macassar Ebony is gorgeous

tclem

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum, but I have used it a long time to research different gear. I learned about the Signet kit from this thread and i will be going tomorrow with my tax money and buying the Gigabeat in Macassar Ebony! I'll be leaving for Quebec city shortly after but i'll post pics next Friday.

sonnygrabber

Maybe that's GC trying to make nice with Ludwig after their last spat.
Or maybe they are spatting again! I just tried to get onto the GC site to look at the drums and they don't have any in stock. Nor did they have any Ludwig products. Maybe this is because I'm in Australia, but wow! If they sold all the Signet stuff that would be very interesting indeed.